NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if I posted in the right area!

Hello my friends! I just got my buggy whom I have lovingly named Charlie- The Diva this weekend. She is a 2005 2.0 beetle. This car was brought to me from my brother in south carolina whom I trusted to get me a car not needing any work. He only mentioned it needing a window regulator. He did not tell me about the other things I am gonna list. He drove this car from south carolina to Virginia and I got her from there and drove 4hrs home. Long story short. I don't wanna add money to a car when I can just purchase another one.

I have a few options. Fix the car...Sale the car and buy a different one...... or keep it and just buy another car. I am gonna list all of the things I see wrong with her. I have been looking on ebay and different sites and It seems I might not have to add as much money as I thought to get her where I want her to be. I value ALL opinions and suggestions and I appreciate them. This site has inspired me to want to actually fix her instead of just selling her at a lost or to just not give any effort. I have always loved seeing the transformations everyone has done to their cars.I am not sure who does good work here in Maryland and I know dealers rip you off by the posts I have seen. I do not know how to fix ANYTHING lol. This car was in a "minor" accident on the left drivers side. One good thing I can say is she ran beautifully on my trip. I had no problems at all. I am gonna list the things now and show some exterior pics. I have to go back out to get the interior. I don't really wanna get inside of it. Sad to say. Here is my fix it list!!

Crazy odor in the car- Strong ( I seen a post about crayons but I haven't a clue what crayons smell like! I do know this makes it miserable for me to be in)
Front lights not in properly- They are sticking out a bit
Gas gauge not showing accurate gas- Doesn't show past 1/2 tank
Gap in drivers side door- Possibly from accident.
Drivers side door handle loose
front bumper grill damaged a little bit
Sticky on the inside of the doors
Dirty front seats- D2BEETLE told me about spot bot on a diff post. My seats are beige cloth. back seats are perfect.
My cd player is not working and the 6cd changer in the trunk
Missing cargo cover for trunk-Found on ebay
Window regulator needed
Air conditioner running warm- Gonna try some freeon ( no cold air and that smell is killing me)
Front bottom light needs a new cover
2 front tires tread bad. (Gonna replace these)
Missing some buttons on the dashboard bottom where humidify button is.

I am not sure if I am attaching pictures correctly.

View attachment 106081

View attachment 106089

View attachment 106097

View attachment 106105

View attachment 106113

View attachment 106121

I will post interior pics soon. But I wanted to get this post out there. Thank you all. I have a classified ad I need to close and I can't figure out how to. Btw. She has some bugs on the front bumper from the trips! lol Picture 106105 shows the grille damage and I am not sure what goes in that round spot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot

I am adding the pictures of the front light and the gap in the drivers side door.

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_9818.jpg

Not sure if something is wrong with the hood. I am looking at this picture wondering. There goes my puppy too! lol Please look past the grass my hubby is letting it turn into a jungle.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Hey There JayBirdBlue! My vote is ...keep the car :rolleyes: it just needs a little TLC.
Here's my take on your challenges-

Crazy Odor-
Yes, our cars DO smell of crayons. Its the carpet padding (if that's what you are smelling). I've never heard of IT running an owner out of the car :confused:. You can change your cabin air filter to a febreeze scented one that is made for our beetles. Walmart has them for about $18. That should at least help. Carpet fresh odor NEUTRALIZER (in the carpet) cant hurt either. Here is a cabin air filter HOW-TO VIDEO from YouTube. Cabin air filter replacement- Volkswagen Beetle - YouTube

Front Headlight-
They just APPEAR to NOT be locked in BUT,if the locks/latch is broken this link will help you with the repair. http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachm...-headlight-catch-how-headlightcatch_howto.pdf
HOW-TO VIDEO for COMPLETE HEADLIGHT INSTALL (includes how to lock it in) on YouTube How To Install Replace Headlight and Bulb Volkswagen Beetle 98-05 1AAuto.com - YouTube

Gap in drivers door-
Usually that's a sign of an accident,but check the OTHER side of the car to compare the gap.

Driver side handle LOOSE?
It may be " loose" or possibly broken. Not a biggie. $29 fix New Beetle Broken Door Handle Fixes

Sticky on the inside of doors?
Huuumm? Do you mean sticky black stuff around that silver pull handle you grab to open your car door from the INSIDE of your car? If so,that is VERY common with our new beetles. It can be scraped clean/smooth and spray painted to resolve that gummy/sticky problem. Several of us ORGERS have cured our cars.of this STICKY problem. Heres what another ORGER did to de-sticky her car EVILINA http://newbeetle.org/forums/paint-b...-hello-pink-black-more-interior-painting.html (see ALL 3 pages). AWESOME CAR!

Dirty cloth seats-
D2BEETLE is on target with that spot bot cleaning machine! His car cloth seats look GREAT!! Bissell Portable Deep Cleaner - Walmart.com

A/C blowing warm air-
Usually that's just a lack of freon. Just be sure when you have it filled that the technician PURGES THE SYSTEM OF AIR before they add the freon.
ALSO CHECK FUSES ON TOP OF THE BATTERY Read this : http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/83/

Front bumper grill,Dash buttons and Front Turn signal lense-
I would check your local savage yards for those parts or buy them online for a little more $.

VW Hood/Trunk Emblems-
You might consider black PLASTIDIPPING them. Cost $7-$8 at your automotive store HOW-TO VIDEO PlastiDip Car Emblems, Badges and Front Grille - Step by Step - DipYourCar.com - YouTube
Black Plasti DIP Spray Performix Plasti DIP Liquid Rubber 11oz 1 Can | eBay

Hope that helps you get started.
I'm sure some of the other ORGERS have some suggestions as well.

I don't know what to think about the FUEL GAUGE and CD PLAYER/CHANGER.

THX for the pix! They help us HELP YOU a lot!

Sandi in Tennessee

:D

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
The car is really cute. Do you have a local VW Beetle mechanic that can look it over and tell you what needs to be done without charging you? Can you get a scanner that you plug in that tells you what is wrong? (they discuss this a lot on this forum and it's only $50 on Amazon). As I look at the pics my ? comes from the VW symbol you took a pic of. It looks like it might have been underwater maybe?:dunno:

You didn't show pics of the inside. Are you sure it's crayons that you smell? Did you get a Carfax report from the VIN #?

I don't know how much you paid for it, but you also didn't mention how many miles it has and how many owners? That's why the Carfax report is worth the money you pay for it. It can tell you just about everything that has been done to this car. I think you can also get the names of the previous owners from your local tag office. It's important that you talk to them as well.

I think the going price for these cars is about $8,000 for an 05. Go to NADA or KELLY BLUE BOOK and put in the information about your car to see what is it worth. Find out what has to be done on it and whether it would be beneficial financially to keep it.

You can to a lot with a white Beetle as far as making it 'yours' and personalizing it. But if you end up having to pay thousands of dollars more in repair it would be better to sell it.

This is just my 2 cents worth and I don't know much. Do whatever your heart tells you to do.

But post pics of the interior when you can! The outside is really cute!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The car is really cute. Do you have a local VW Beetle mechanic that can look it over and tell you what needs to be done without charging you? Can you get a scanner that you plug in that tells you what is wrong? (they discuss this a lot on this forum and it's only $50 on Amazon). As I look at the pics my ? comes from the VW symbol you took a pic of. It looks like it might have been underwater maybe?:dunno:

You didn't show pics of the inside. Are you sure it's crayons that you smell? Did you get a Carfax report from the VIN #?

I don't know how much you paid for it, but you also didn't mention how many miles it has and how many owners? That's why the Carfax report is worth the money you pay for it. It can tell you just about everything that has been done to this car. I think you can also get the names of the previous owners from your local tag office. It's important that you talk to them as well.

I think the going price for these cars is about $8,000 for an 05. Go to NADA or KELLY BLUE BOOK and put in the information about your car to see what is it worth. Find out what has to be done on it and whether it would be beneficial financially to keep it.

You can to a lot with a white Beetle as far as making it 'yours' and personalizing it. But if you end up having to pay thousands of dollars more in repair it would be better to sell it.

This is just my 2 cents worth and I don't know much. Do whatever your heart tells you to do.

But post pics of the interior when you can! The outside is really cute!
My brother did get it but I was not worried about the amount of owners that have had the car. There was no salvage or floods on the carfax. I will ask my father to ask him for me as I am not talking to him!! I stayed away from jersey and other places north of me to keep away from storm cars and I understand they can be anywhere. This car does not smell of mold. I have been in a storm car before and it smelled of mold. Plus that car had obvious water stains all over the seats. Stains on the seats in the front and the back. This one is just dingy like dirt lol.Only the front seats are dingy the back look perfect like they never been used! The seats are beige so its showing up I guess black dingy. It has 108k miles on it. I paid 5k for this car. I am not sure if its crayons as I don't remember the smell of them! lol. When I cut the air on the smell does kinda go away or if I have the windows open.It is getting dark so I am gonna run out and take pics right quick of the inside. You cannot have my bad puppy!!!!!! lol <3

Okay I think the smell is crayons lol. Just took interior pics here i go again<333 thank you my friend

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey There JayBirdBlue! My vote is ...keep the car :rolleyes: it just needs a little TLC.
Here's my take on your challenges-

Crazy Odor-
Yes, our cars DO smell of crayons. Its the carpet padding (if that's what you are smelling). I've never heard of IT running an owner out of the car :confused:. You can change your cabin air filter to a febreeze scented one that is made for our beetles. Walmart has them for about $18.

Front Headlight-
They just APPEAR to NOT be locked in.

Gap in drivers door-
Usually that's a sign of an accident.

Driver side handle LOOSE? It may be " loose" or even broken. Not a biggie. $29

Oops I'm at work...gotta run BUT , I WILL FINISH THIS LATER TONIGHT.
:D

Okay I just went outside and remembered my inner child! lol It does smell like crayons. Thank you for responding! I look forward to more from you! Thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interior pics

Okay! I am gonna show you the torn cloth around the clock on the ceiling. The front seats and the dash where it is missing buttons. I was wrong the car is at 109k now. When I fill up the car the gas hand doesn't go much farther than 1/2 tank. I tried to get close up pics of the seats so everyone can see what I am seeing. I do not have a cargo cover in the trunk but found one on ebay I am now watching. The seat belt holders are faded. Maybe I will paint them white. I wonder what paint would be used for that. I am going to go to a dealership to try to get a free estimate on repairing everything but wanted to ask for opinions here first. I found a window regulator on ebay as well. I also found a set of hubcaps on ebay.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_9696.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_4488.jpg

IMG_7399.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_7916.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
Okay I'm no expert, but look at the stains on those seats. They really do look like long standing water stains. And look at the speaker. It's only dirty from the bottom up half way. I hope I'm wrong - really I do! I hope someone who is more knowledgable about these cars can give you better advice. See if the smell is mostly coming from the seats or the A/C.

I do know at 108K that there is a lot that has to be done at the 100K mark. There is a scanner you're supposed to get to see what is actually wrong with it.

I think for 5,000 it looks good IF it hasn't been flooded and never reported. You really need a professional to give you the proper opinion. I'm just a dummy....

Keep us posted on what happens with Charlie!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay I'm no expert, but look at the stains on those seats. They really do look like long standing water stains. And look at the speaker. It's only dirty from the bottom up half way. I hope I'm wrong - really I do! I hope someone who is more knowledgable about these cars can give you better advice. See if the smell is mostly coming from the seats or the A/C.

I do know at 108K that there is a lot that has to be done at the 100K mark. There is a scanner you're supposed to get to see what is actually wrong with it.

I think for 5,000 it looks good IF it hasn't been flooded and never reported. You really need a professional to give you the proper opinion. I'm just a dummy....

Keep us posted on what happens with Charlie!

You are no dummy! I am gonna take note of what you said and make sure I tell whoever looks at it. I think it's dirt but I could be wrong. I will make sure I ask about flooding. I just think the person who had this b4 me was nasty. I am not too worried because I have seen and been in a flooded bug lol. It was awful and after I saw it they took it off for sale. I could sale this car for what I paid or take a loss and sale it a little cheaper but If I decide to do that I would like to at least do some things to make it nice for the next owner.Get her professionally detailed, fix the lights and add new tires at least. But the price I paid should be ok as I havent found one this year in this range in my area, but hey my area is overpriced. We will see after I get an estimate.

The other bug I was gonna get is a 1999 GLS with leather seats and sunroof for 5k. I saw this one myself but I value everyones opinion and if yall think I can do this without spending crazy money I will do this!:cool:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I think that one is okay, besides the fact that its an automatic. But that's a whole nother issue that you shouldn't worry about for now as long as its driving good. As far as I can see that door gap looks normal, what does the other side look like? And for the light colored seats, yes someone did not take very good care of them. Also known as nasty. But, but you can still clean them up. And the door speakers does look like scuff marks notice they run horizontally and have a slight arch to them, When people climb in and out of my car and they don't really take care to where their feet are going,always have to clean those exact scuff marks off the passenger side and sometimes of my own side! Lol. The rest of that stuff is just typical VW headliner and plastic interior parts that need a little tender loving care. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for white, I think that is a really good color for these cars. I would say keep it for now, it will grow on you. You should really plan on having your timing belt and water pump replaced as soon as possible! Hang in there kid, we will help you out anyway we can! We sure are glad you found us.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The sticky on the inside of the door, is that on the black part? If so, that seems to be a normal wear and tear part of the lovely VW soft touch interior. After a while it turns into a sticky mess. I used this cleaner called "purple power" to clean it off some pieces I got for my Iggy. I found it at Home Depot; but I'm sure it's probably in a lot of different stores. Pretty cheap too. Just a little elbow grease with that and a green scrubby sponge will take the sticky off.

The headlights do look like they are either not lined up right or the front part is separating from the housing. There are tabs all around holding my aftermarket light together that just like to pull apart when I'm trying to get the light back in. I'm not sure when they changed the headlight mounts. I'm sure somebody that knows can chime in. Mine is an '01. They slide in on a few tracks that need to be lined up just right, then there are a couple of knubs sticking out that have to line up just right with a track that pulls the whole thing in to lock in place. Getting all of that to line up correctly to get the lights in place is about as easy as catching a greased pig. It just took me 30 mins of fighting and swearing to get my aftermarket one to line up right today when I had to take it out. Once they are lined up and in right you want to jump up and down and shout hallelujah. Many times I've wanted to give up and leave mine looking just like yours do now. If yours are the newer mount system, I hear they make mine look easy...lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The fuel level issue is probably the float on the fuel pump. It looks kind of like a bike pedal and floats on the fuel in the tank to send a measurement of the level to the fuel gauge. If they are not freely moving throughout their range, they won't read correctly. Here is what it looks like View attachment 106441

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
If yours is a GL, then you have all the buttons, just missing some blanks that fill the empty holes. You didn't say what trim level you have. Here is what the GL looks like with all the blanks in place View attachment 106449
Iggy is a GLS and has the same blanks on either side. The tabs that hold them on break off easily and then the covers fall off. Replaced mine a couple of times (junkyard finds, not new ones). I finally got tired f it and bought seat heater buttons that those slots are for (come on the GLX). They snapped in nicely and don't fall apart. I'm sure you can get blanks new somewhere that would hold up better than my used ones did. I will have to dig in my parts box. I think I have a blank for one of the center buttons that came in a surround I got from a junkyard. If you don't mind just super gluing it on, I probably still have one of my blanks for the side too.

Junkyards have become one of my fave places to go since I got Iggy. You'd be surprised what you can find there. Don't think I'd trust any mechanical stuff like fuel pumps or window regulators much; but the one I go to most of the time is LKQ (they are all over the place) and they will give you your $ back with a receipt within 30 days if a part doesn't work, so if you are able to get it in to find out if it works or not within that time frame you wouldn't be out any money.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
This is what Iggy's looks like with the seat heater buttons in instead of the blanks. View attachment 106457

Does your AC ever blow cold? Mine did get cool if I was driving and hot when I was stopped when I test drove her. They agreed to fix it for me before I bought her. It was a fan regulator. There are 2 fans, and if 1 doesn't work, the AC blows hot when you're not moving and cold when you are. If its never cold you can try freon; but it might end up being the compressor. That one isn't a cheap fix. Trying the freon (or whatever it is they use now, forget what it's called) first wont be too expensive and at least then you'll know. There are a lot of AC places that will check your system and tell you what's wrong/give you an estimate for free. Even if you don't let them fix it, at least you'll know what's wrong so you can shop around for the best price on the repair.

If your car runs well and is mechanically sound, I would say keep it. All the little things going on will just be a little here and a little there to fix. If you only paid $5000 for it you got a great deal. I couldn't find one that new here in Tampa that wasn't nearly twice that. That's why I ended up with an '01.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts