VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put new plugs in the wife's Beetle. The gap is.044 and it ran great after putting plugs in. Next morning it started with a stumble and died. Then started fine and ran great. It did the same thing after work. I started it this morning and it stumbled and died. Restarted it and it ran great. Took it for a short drive and was fine. Think the plug gap is the problem? Hot starts are fine.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,452 Posts
What plugs did you put in?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Couple of things come to mind.

Any codes stored in the car's computer? Just because the CEL isn't on, doesn't mean the system didn't store any useful data.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Contrary to what some manuals state? It's not a lifetime filter. If the filter has over 60,000 miles on it? It's due for replacement. Not saying it is the source of the problem, but it can help the fuel delivery.

S-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car has 42k and fuel filter was replace at 30k. No codes showing. Maybe a bad plug. I'll pull them tomorrow and put another set in.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Car has 42k and fuel filter was replace at 30k. No codes showing. Maybe a bad plug. I'll pull them tomorrow and put another set in.
Excellent news. Glad you're on top of it! (ours hit 122,000 miles on the factory fuel filter. what a mess)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,452 Posts

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I found the main issue with people using NGK is cost. I priced them in our application and found about $9.00 a plug to be extremely high. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent plugs! And I use their V-Power in my 2.9V6. But $36.00 plus tax and/or shipping? Can break the wallet a bit much.

So far the double plat. autolites seem to be doing well in our 2.0 AVH. We'll see how they last long term.

(And yes, we did use NGK spark plug wires. Rock Auto listed them for about $60ish, and the local parts house asked about $110 for the same thing)

S-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pulled the plugs and everything looked fine. Started and died. Started on second try but didn't sound right. CEL came on so I ran to advanced auto for a scan. Number 2 was showing miss fire. Got another set of plug and that fixed the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts