VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 NBC 1.8 turbo. I have a parasitic draw on my battery of 0.6 amps. After much testing and disassembly, I have determined the draw is in one of the red wires that connects to the bottom of the relay panel under the dash left of the steering column. There are 5 terminals on the bottom of the relay panel and it appears that this is a power bus to distribute 12v sources. These are not uniquely numbered that I can find so I will call them 1-5 from left to right. They are labeled 75X, 30, 30, 30a and 87F/Diesel. The terminal with the wire with a draw is terminal 3 in the very center and is labeled 30. This terminal has two red wires connected to it. Only one of the wires has a draw. It is a 0.6 amps draw at all times. It is impossible to trace this wire to what it feeds but I can tell it does not go to the interior fuse box. I have also tested all the interior fuses with a load tester and there is no draw on any fused circuit. There is no distinction between the two red wires (no tracer) just red about number 8 or 10). Does anyone have a diagram that indictes what these two wires connected to terminal "30" feed?
Also I need to add that I am restoring this car. It was a badly abused 2005 NBC. It is very low mileage but a lot of things to not working and it is difficult to tell what is not working due to this problem or if it is another issue. So I can't just look for what's not working correctly to see what is drawing the load.
Thanks for your knowledge and help.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Our '05 NBC had a bad stereo/CD player in the dash that was causing a parasitic drain that would drain the battery after only a couple of days. The battery tested good. The CD eject mechanism was not working properly, so my guess is that caused it to never "go to sleep" once the car was off. I verified this by pulling the radio and letting the car sit over a weekend and it started right up on Monday morning.

So, to fix the hole in the dash where the radio used to be I installed an aftermarket radio (with more features) for something like $120 from Crutchfield. I like Crutchfield because if you spend over a certain amount, they give you the dash kit and all the wiring harness adapters (including a special adapter for the amplified windshield antenna in our cars) for free. My daughter is quite happy with the aftermarket unit because it features a USB plug with iPod/iPhone integration built in. There is no Bluetooth in that stereo, because that was an extra $20 or $30 (several years ago) that I didn't want to spend at the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts