VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife’s beetle convertible will not start, it cranks, but no spark.
Error messages are :
Fuel injector #1 to #4 Short to ground
EVAP Purge Valve Short to ground
Oxygen (Lambda) Heating Circuit B1 S2 Short to ground
Intake Manifold Valve 2 Short to ground
Secondary Air Pump relay Short to ground

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

The engine is the AZJ (having difficulty getting a wiring diagram for it).
It's a manual transmission.

Codes are as follows:
Fuel injector #1 P0261 Short to Ground
Fuel injector #2 P0264 Short to Ground
Fuel injector #3 P0267 Short to Ground
Fuel injector #4 P0270 Short to Ground
EVAP purge valve P1425 Short to Ground
Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2 P1117 Short to Ground
Intake manifold valve 2 P1514 Short to Ground
Secondary air pump relay P1435 Short to Ground

Have replaced Fuel pump and filter, engine speed sensor and coil pack.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Many times, when we see this; it can be a defective sticking relay, that kills power, to a number of components on the same circuit. In this case, the #109 fuel pump relay; maybe suspect, always replace with a oem vw Stribel brand relay, as poor quality aftermarket versions, always seem to cause problems, not work correctly.

The last time this happened to me, i pulled the #109 relay, removed the plastic cover, disassembled the contacts; polished the contacts with a scotch brite pad and, scrubbed everything with a old toothbrush and finished cleaning with rubbing alcohol or a spray contact cleaner like crc qd electrical cleaner part #5103, (available at hardware, auto parts stores and for the best price at Walmart, in the auto supply area).

This restored the relay functionality; until i could order a new one and the engine, started right up, this worked fine as a temporary fix. When, the new one showed up, i replaced it and kept the old one in the glovebox as a extra backup.

After replacing the relay; you might clear the codes, start up the engine and try starting, turning off, a number of times, possibly go for a short drive. After that, you might do a scan for codes again; then, see if any come back. Post your results and we can go from there, thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solved!
It occurred to me that the only sensor on the loop not showing to be shorting to ground was the Lambda sensor before the Cat. So went under an disconnected it and a whole bunch of water came out of the connector.
Sure enough after drying it out, she started up.
Thanks for you inputs.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Wow, interesting; good troubleshooting work! :) If ongoing moisture ingress is a problem; you might, clean plugs, terminals with contact cleaner and add some dialectic grease. This will help, to seal out water and/or repair, replace any damaged wiring harness problems, that allows the water in. Can you see, any reason; why water got in the plugs, harness to the 02 sensor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, will do as you suggest.
After I found the water my wife confessed to driving through what she thought was a shallow puddle, which turned out to be not so shallow!

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Is the harness or plug; damaged in any way? The connectors/.plugs, are sealed with ribbed silicone gaskets in the plug and inline wire seals to theoretically, keep water out. However, if your New Beetle, became a temporary; U-boat, anything is possible! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts