• Replace the new O Ring with a newer O Ring

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

There is an oil leak on my gf's 2005 Beetle. It seems to coming from the top of the oil cooler. I have seen numerous post and videos saying to replace the O ring to which I did, cleaned the area very well, and still, oil leaks from the same place. Could the current oil cooler be warped from the heat and need to be replaced?

• New oil cooler O ring has been added.
  • Area around oil cooler and housing has been cleaned.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
There can be a number of places; that cause oil leaks on the 1.8T. The valve cover is particularly the main culprit and the as you noted, the large round oil cooler seal, are the most common leaks.

When, you replaced the oil cooler seal; did you torque the nut down, to spec?

While, very basic; I have noticed, sometimes, people forget to check for the oil seal on the oil filter and that can end up being left on, ending up with TWO seals, causing a leak (Not as often on VW's). I know, this sounds like something that wouldn't normally happen BUT sometimes it does, narrowing down the problem, many times is just about DOUBLE checking everything over again! :)

The other thing, is quite simple; the oil filter can sometimes, not be tightened enough and just leak, making you think you have another source of a oil leak. I have done this, as the filter is in a bit of a cramped area and the a/c lines and hoses are kinda in the way. A oil filter socket or strap wrench; maybe needed to torque it down to spec or just hand tight to stop it from leaking?

If all else fails, you might check the oil cooler itself and see if it is compromised, is leaking, as these are known to fail. When, they do, they typically end up; mixing the oil and coolant together, when they internally split, start leaking. While, I haven't heard about this much; I suppose, the cooler, could externally leak as well?

Everything, should be considered and not overlooked; start with the basics, double check everything, possibly adding some uv dye to the oil, from a leak detection kit, might help as well?

Report back your findings and we can go from there, thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That oil cooler has an upper and lower seal. They are both different, one has rounded sides and a couple of very small centering loops, the other has a more sharp edge cut and fits into the lower assembly. You need to replace both of them. If you have already done both and it’s still leaking you might try tightening the bottom bolt an 1/8 of a turn and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There can be a number of places; that cause oil leaks on the 1.8T. The valve cover is particularly the main culprit and the as you noted, the large round oil cooler seal, are the most common leaks.

When, you replaced the oil cooler seal; did you torque the nut down, to spec?

While, very basic; I have noticed, sometimes, people forget to check for the oil seal on the oil filter and that can end up being left on, ending up with TWO seals, causing a leak (Not as often on VW's). I know, this sounds like something that wouldn't normally happen BUT sometimes it does, narrowing down the problem, many times is just about DOUBLE checking everything over again! :)

The other thing, is quite simple; the oil filter can sometimes, not be tightened enough and just leak, making you think you have another source of a oil leak. I have done this, as the filter is in a bit of a cramped area and the a/c lines and hoses are kinda in the way. A oil filter socket or strap wrench; maybe needed to torque it down to spec or just hand tight to stop it from leaking?

If all else fails, you might check the oil cooler itself and see if it is compromised, is leaking, as these are known to fail. When, they do, they typically end up; mixing the oil and coolant together, when they internally split, start leaking. While, I haven't heard about this much; I suppose, the cooler, could externally leak as well?

Everything, should be considered and not overlooked; start with the basics, double check everything, possibly adding some uv dye to the oil, from a leak detection kit, might help as well?

Report back your findings and we can go from there, thanks! :)
I did not tighten to spec but I did tighten it pretty tight. Will be visiting it back again today and just giving it another 1/8th spin. I have ordered another oil cooler just in case.

Lol I heard about the double seals on the oil filter side but everything is good on the oil filter side.

Looks like I may just have to give one last tighten and if that fails, replace it all together.

Thanks Biilymade

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yes, the top one is for the oil cooler and the bottom is the one that comes preinstalled in most oil filters. I have both on and still leaking. I have ordered a new oil cooler. Hoping that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The bottom one is installed underneath the oil cooler within the assembly that holds the cooler to the bottom of the oil filter housing.

See the bolt assembly that holds the oil cooler to the bottom of the assembly? The part in my hand. If you look close you will see that that squared edge O ring is in that assembly. You’ll need a pick to pull it up out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The bottom one is installed underneath the oil cooler within the assembly that holds the cooler to the bottom of the oil filter housing.

See the bolt assembly that holds the oil cooler to the bottom of the assembly? The part in my hand. If you look close you will see that that squared edge O ring is in that assembly. You’ll need a pick to pull it up out.

My assembly does not have the black circular thing in your hand. My beetle has the oil cooler then the 17mm hex flat bolt, then the oil filter. I have never seen the piece you are holding.

I actually just now finished replacing the entire oil cooler with a new rubber seal that came with it. At first it looked like it had solved the leak but after 10 minutes of running. I started to see oil again. Thankfully much less than before. It seems to be leaking from the top of the oil cooler so I can't seem to tell if it is the seal of the cooler or coming from something above the cooler like the housing.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts