NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my wife went to drive her car with the top down for the first time this year and the roof wouldn't go down all the way. This I worked out to be because something was blocking it from folding all the way down.

Now though the car will not chime when the roof is either all the way down or up. As a result even when its all the way down or up the car cannot be driven without the warning beep. If you continue to hold the button down when the roof is fully in one position the motor type noise just continues to whirr away. Oddly it does sound different on the passenger side which was the side that had the obstruction. The microswitches are on the drivers side though.

I've pulled the battery and gave it a while before reconnecting in the hope that it would convince it to reset but to no avail. I've read about codes but my odbII reader shows there are no error codes stored. I don't have a VCDS to check anything on there.

Is there anything else I could be checking before pulling the microswitches off of the piston?

Also, I've pulled the seat out before to fix a dropped window, is there anything else I need to know before going at these microswitches, a handy guide or anything?

Is there a reset method like there is for windows where you press x and hold y and everything works out where it is supposed to be?

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
To bring sanity to your diagnosis; you really need a vw specific scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech, to read the trouble codes, for the convertible top. That should help you narrow down; the source of the problem. Here is a video, going over the output testng with VCDS and a reset procedure, if things get stuck.

ouput testing codes and meanings:

To understand, how the convertible top is setup and location of the sensors/switches, download the self study program from VW:

Volkswagen New Beetle Cabriolet - Self-study Programme 281

For front door window regulator repair/replacement; check out the Bentley Publishers repair video:

rear window:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts