NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 new beetle (baby) and I have always suspected my speedometer registerd a little fast but didnt have a good way of telling for sure.
I got a GPS for Christmas (love that btw) and it tells you how fast you are going. It says I'm going 3-6mph slower than my speedometer registers. First I figured the gps just wasn't calculating correctly, but we put it in another vehicle we took on a road trip a week or so ago and it was -right on- with the speedometer.
I took my beetle in for an oilchange today and asked them to look at it, they told me that they don't have any diagnostic tools for this.
They were going to contact VW and let me know at my next appointment.
Anyone else had anything like this happen?

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Yup, this is with all beetles. Kinda sad if you ask me. But many have said that it still reads the mileage correctly, BUT my scangauge tallies less miles driven than the speedometer (probably because it's goin by the speed it reads).

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Mine too, I know my GPS is right, and it said the same thing. I was going to ask about it but guess I won't bother. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Gps?

OK, GPS owners, how about giving us a heads-up on what you have, why you have it, what it does, etc.?

If all NB speedos are off, it starts to make a GPS sound like a "must have" accessory. But I'm not going to get one unless I'm convinced that it's going to give me my money's worth.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Garmin 2720, I LOVE it! Have taken it on two roadtrips so far (yes, since Christmas), the only thing I -dont't- like about it and maybe its because I haven't read the manual yet, is it dosen't show the points of interest on the map, well it has twice, but can't figure out how to get them to stay there.
Has nice zoom features, the speaker is loud, the non-permemnt dash mount is nice and heavy and dosen't slide around or move at all in my NB, and i've been told I drive like a maniac. Good color, fairly good text to speech.

·
Registered
125 Posts
does anyone know where the sensor is located for the speedo??
The local dealership said it was somewhere in the gearbox but he didn't sound too sure.

·
Jetta go 'Getta
31 Posts
Indeed, the speed sensor is in the transmission, a gear that hooks up to the output shaft (I believe), which is made out of plastic and CAN go bad, and does cost around $900 to replace.

Speaking from experience :)

But even with the new one, it's still around 4 high.

I like it. I know i can go 70 on the highway, and not really be speading by more than 1-2 MPH. It's not really that big of a deal to me. Also, I always figured that this was because that VWs were probably calibrated for KM/H, and somewhere in the translation a few MPH were lost. Again, no big deal.

·
I like yours too!
764 Posts
Gps

:D I have an Ipaq 3955,with the "Routis" navigation software installed. It gives me the same readings also.You know it's on the money because you have anywhere from 4-12 satelites tracking you. I would recomend one to anyone that does any traveling. I lived out in Vancouver,Wa. last year....never been there befor,I did home inspections and traveled anywhere from Astoria to Salem and everywhere in between....and it got me to my location every time.If you had to deliver pizza's in Chicago,it would not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
My GPS is an old Garmin Street Pilot Color Map that I got for the Jeeps. Still works great and has all the updates in it. I only used once in the Beetle to go to Tampa to help when I got in the city. That's when I noticed the speedo seemed off by 3 miles. It was consistant at low and high speeds. I didn't give it a lot of thought since I was not sure if the 17" wheels had anything to do with it, but didn't figure that would matter that much. I used the GPS in the Jeep all the time cause very often I would change the size of the tires(35's or 37's) on it or gears and didn't always change the speedo gear in the transfer case. It had a bean bag mount that came with it I never used in the Jeep but it plops quite nicely on the dash of the bug and stays put, of course I'm not thrashing the bug around on the rocks.:eek:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cody said:
Also, I always figured that this was because that VWs were probably calibrated for KM/H, and somewhere in the translation a few MPH were lost. Again, no big deal.
Nope... here in Australia the speedos are all incorrect also... they overread by about 5kmh.

·
Rockin' the Suburbs
129 Posts
This is my understanding of the situation - In Germany, if a vehicle owner gets cited for speeding, and it is determined that the speedometer is at fault, the owner can sue the manufacturer. Therefore all german car manufacturers design 2%-4% of 'optimisim' into their speedo displays.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
wawalker said:
This is not a new revelation--NB speedos read around 3 MPH fast. Armed w/ that knowledge I set my cruise accordingly.;) I don't have GPS, but both my local Sheriff and Police have those speed trailers they park around in trouble spots--I like to make the blue and red rotating lights flash on the speed trailer!:ha: (only cause I know it isn't equipped w/ a camera:cool: )
Me too! :)

I got one to read 99 once near the end of a long straight...that was fun. As soon as I hit it, I walked back, and it still said 84! :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
wow.. I just now saw this thread. This explains a lot about german cars *in general.*

Now I know that when I'm pushing 80, I'm really only doing 75. It's like 1973 all over again!!!! :D

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
huh....i wondered about this! there's a speed-scanner type thing by a school here that says how fast you're going and i've noticed that it reads less mph than what my speedo says by about 3-4 mph. well, this explains it!

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
my99vdub said:
So ALL this time I think I'm doing the speed limit?!?!?!?!?
No wonder people want to push me into next week!!!
Here I thought all the people were just admiring the bug when flew past glaring at me.:p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts