VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that I have joined the club in that I'm having problems with the trans in my 2005 NB with a Tiptronic auto. Bought it new and it currently has 112,000 miles on it. Not sure where to start, or if it's time to give up and sell.

Shifts hard and slips when changing gears, sometimes hard enough to chirp the tires when it catches. Other times you'll step on the gas from a stop and it just revs for a couple seconds before it engages. Some days it's really bad, other days it runs like there is no problem. Problem is getting worse every time I drive it, so it's been parked for the last few months.

Guessing from what I read that it could either be in need of a fluid change, a new valve body, or the whole trans is trash (at a cost of $5,000). I can do some of the work myself, but I think the only other option in my area is the dealership.

Any way to start to narrow things down from my symptoms, or have any idea where to start? Would love to get it on the road again, but also don't want to throw too much money at it if I end up needing to sell, since I'd already be taking a huge loss and don't need to make it worse.

·
BEAR
109 Posts
trans valve body time for you and me both. No other way around it. I am told if you wait too long it will need an entire trans replacement. :(

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Valve bodies are garbage in these cars. Usually the trans play better when the fluid is cold, but when the fluid warms up they get worse.

The only issue I am concerned about is the slipping/not moving. Hard/harsh shifting is almost always 100% valve body bore wear.

Maybe the fluid is also low in the trans.

If you DIY, you can get a reworked valve body for about $600, with fluid and other things you are probably around $750 DIY.

Not a hard job, a few tricky things but otherwise about a 3 hour job.

Filling the trans fluid can be an issue, but you can make an easy set up and it is actually very easy once you understand how to fill the trans and you have what you need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts