NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2005 New Beetle with a 2.0L engine. Her A/C recently stopped working. The blower fan works. The A/C button wont engage. There is no "click" when you press the button. And obviously the clutch on the compressor doesn't engage. I have checked every fuse related to the A/C that I can find. I'm reading 45 psi from the low side test port with the engine off. I've searched the forums and can't find any posts with anybody with the same symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It may just be a problem with the button. It should stay in when you press it once, out when you press it again. Does the compressor run and the air get cold when you turn on the defroster? Also, does the blower fan run on all 4 speeds?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Yes the blower runs at all four speeds. The compressor doesn't run in defrost either. Thats why I don't think it's a problem with the button. I think the button has some type of lock out mechanism like the air recirculation button. If you turn it to defrost mode, the air recirculation button won't engage by design. I think there is something else underlying that won't let the A/C engage.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The A/C, recirculate and vent mode switches are all integrated into one unit. There is a single line from that unit to the fan control module to engage the A/C clutch. The fan control module ultimately sends the voltage to the A/C clutch.

On my car the A/C control button and the recirculate button both have the push on/push off function when the ignition is off. There seems to be a mechanical connection to the vent mode dial that releases the recirculate button when entering defrost mode. My A/C button stays engaged for all settings of all the dials. The wiring diagram shows no other electrical connections beside the normal on/off ones for the A/C and recirculate buttons.

It sounds to me like the problems is in that control unit somewhere. I think only the entire control unit is available as a replacement part.

Do your cooling fans come on normally? The fan control unit is another possibility. There is some useful information in this post:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...3260-summers-coming-here-check-your-fans.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fonetek, did you resolve this issue? I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but my daughter's car is having the exact same issue. Blower control works. Recirculation button works. AC button doesn't engage and AC doesn't come on in defrost mode. The button will not stay pressed in. No clicking. No light. Wondering if the button could be messed up?

She took it to a dealer a month ago, hoping it would fall under the extended warranty we purchased when we bought the car, but they told her it was an electrical issue that would require a new console unit. Not sure what that means. Maybe a new control unit?

Anyway, before I tear into the system, I thought I'd see if this thread was ever resolved.

TIA!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
45 psi

45 psi on the low side with the engine off? that is almost sound like you have a Freon leak and the compressor will not engage with pressure that low. On a normal system(comparing mine) with compressor off you should read equal pressure on both low and high side and it's usually around 90-110 psi. On a normal operating A/C system when the compressor is engaged then the low will come down to about 35-45 psi and on the high side around 200, plus/minus 20psi. Did you use one of those single dial Freon cans with one dial to recharge the system?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts