VW Beetle Forum banner
181 - 200 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Don't forget; checking the valve guides as well and/or have the head totally checked out by the pros at a machine shop. After all these issues; I would double check, confirm everything and make sure things are 100%, before putting everything back together.

·
Registered
2006 1.6 Beetle Luna Cabriolet
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
My funds have run out now, this is make or break! the valves were very snug when installing so i do believe they are fine

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Well got pistons out, waiting on new rings, and go from there, bores look good, there's a smudge on 2nd cylinder but i cant feel it should hone right out. Pistons looks really good.., Managed to get them out without removing oil pump, I'm a master work-arounder.
Tool Wood Kitchen utensil Hand tool Metal

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Does anything look worn or are the rings carboned up, not allowing movement; that might, cause the blow by? If you remove the rings, put them in the cylinders; you could measure the gap for wear.

It would be nice to measure the cylinders for wear but that would require a bore measuring tool.

I'm assuming the "smidge"; is a wear area or other anomaly, on the #2 the cylinder wall?

Other parts: any wear on the main and rod bearings?

When you removed the oil pan/sump; was there any sludge or debris on the bottom, then was the oil pickup tube clogged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Pickup tube is fine theres Thicker oil at the bottom but nothing i would describe as sludge. il get a picture of the mark on bore, its nothing id worry about, the sides of the pistons look really good, no signs of blow-by etc. minimal wearing to the walls of piston. the bearings look good too

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
that smudge i was on about, got my old downpipe/cat off, had to cut it in half to remove it. something is definatly loose inside it, the replacement part slips in through engine bya which is nice. Went to hone my bores and the tool broke instantly, thanks US Pro...bah

Attachments

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hmmm, not all hones are made well, quality is not what they used to be, technique can be a issue and i have broken them before (the stones came off the metal holder); does it have the tripod with the stones or the wire with abrasive balls on the ends?

Typical tripod style: with three stones

Flex hone style:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Just replaced all the rings on pistons. I noticed the three oil rings were binded up on the rings that i removed, as posed to mine which all move independently. the witness marks on the rings show they were resting on top over the rail notches instead of in front of them.(To me anyway, i'm not an qualified mechanic yet ;) ) what do you think? could of been why there were letting so much oil blow by.

Freshly ringed pistons
Drinkware Fluid Liquid Salt Table salt

Bad ring position?
Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tire Textile

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
The feedback i have seen I've over the years from the uk; indicated the rings were the common issue. When it cones to installation; i would look @ a eRWin factory vw manual. On a rebuild; there is normally a resizing procedure; again, i would refer to the service manual and it would be a good idea, to have things measured and inspected, to confirm everything is in spec and not require machining or new replacement parts.

The other thing, is the brand of rings you purchased; what brand did you go with? Most of the better companies; offer call in tech support for specific questions and usually are very helpful to the end user. Was there any supporting documentation or part # on the package?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I bought Hastings Rings, USA made, and followed the Haynes manually on the ring gap positioning, was almost therapeutic

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Fixed my o2 sensor wires a bit more robustly today, Installed the new o2 sensor in the new exhaust and screwed in the blank on the spare port. I've linked pictures of the con rod bearings. the mark on one of them is where i pushed on it to get piston out, its smooth to the touch im not worried about it, the crank looks good, but its raining so im not crawling under the car! Still waiting for honer..

Helmet Personal protective equipment Armour Metal Auto part
Nickel Metal Bumper Household hardware Fashion accessory
Helmet Wood Auto part Metal Door

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Well I honed and installed pistons today, pistons went back in easy as pie. well impressed, I've read stories of people breaking pistons rings etc. Just waiting for head gasket now and i can re-install everything, would be done quicker but they sent me the wrong gasket!

Automotive engine gasket Wood Audio equipment Engineering Gas
Water Fluid Gas Circle Liquid

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Looks like you are making progress; did you resize the rings and check for cylinder, piston wear, etc.? Any help from Hastings tech support; on the rings? Did you replace the rod and main bearings? Did the crank journals; look good?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
I didn't resize the rings. They're fine. They come as standard sizes. Pistons look great. Even the front and back sides only have a slight wear marks. Crank journals look good. I didnt replace any bearing on the basis of it wasnt a problem before and they look good. This is a to budget repair haha

181 - 200 of 273 Posts