VW Beetle Forum banner
201 - 220 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
2006 1.6 Beetle Luna Cabriolet
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Oil rings looked to be installed wrong. They were bound up on each other and the 3 parts wouldnt spin independent or at all really. The witness Mark's tell look like they were resting ontop of the rail rather in front of it like design.

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Did you find any tech info; from Hastings or VW service manual data, on how they are supposed to be installed? If you have any photos, illustrating the oil control rings, incorrectly installed issue and how they should be installed; this could really help, the next 1.6L owner with a similar problem! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Unfortunately not but its easy to tell with inspection, as I said all parts of the oil seal, upper, bottom slide and the expanding ring should be able to freely rotate, ^^

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Here is a interesting 1.6L smoking issue thread; they found the oil rings to be stuck from carbon; build up. Excessive, carbon build up, was theorized; to be caused, by a too cool running engine, culprit being a long term stuck open thermostat. I would replace your thermostat, as a precaution; concerning this issue, the thread ended up with a positive result and smoking issue, was resolved! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Interestingly i was having issues with a blue coolant light. I actually replaced my thermostat and coolant temp sensor when i did valve stem seals and the problem has gone away, interesting coalition, probably same issue!

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
So, i wonder,; if all these uk, based threads with the 1.6SR smoking problem; could all correlate with the same or similar problem? How much excess carbon, was on your piston rings and did you take any photos of that issue?

I am also wondering, since the uk is a temperate climate and the temps even in the summer do not get very high often, a bad thermostat, causing low operating temps could really cause carboning up of the rings issues?

For some reason, we have allot of thermostats sticking on the VW Mark IV engines; regardless of which engine it is.

A abnormally running cool engine and under normal operating temps; causes a rich mixture condition and thus, the carbon build up!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
There were a bit grubby not overly so, But proof is in the pudding right, if its stuck its stuck! could be a bit of shoddy assembly too...who knows! Good news 1.6 smokers. all u have to do is strip and rebuild your engine!

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Sarcasm here... I'm glad, you had the courage to "jump in"; to attempt your own repairs and have not given up (!), even continuing on, the second time around! Many, would have given up and threw in the towel, a long, time ago! Keep wrenching! Bravo!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Hah. Girl power! I'm starting to study for a qualification in mechanics. Thre are no modules in quitting 😂😂

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Oh, wow! This "VW project" is actually; a great practical "lab", for your Auto Tech course of study! Buying and owning Volkswagens; is a great way, to force yourself, to learn how to fix and repair cars! :)

I started with bicycles, Honda motorcycles, then my first car; a 64' air cooled Beetle, 73' Super Beetle and eventually graduated, to the water cooled New Beetles. All have been a continual challenge, to fix, maintain these cars; to keep them on the road. We tend to learn from things that challenge us, require struggle to overcome problems and not things, that do not! VW's will present those challenges; to you, in spades!

To expand your diagnostics skills and familiarize yourself with a factory level, scan tool, i highly recommend to eventually invest in the Ross Tech VCDS scan tool system. Using it, has taught me a ton, about modern automotive technology and it is basically a clone of the factory VW 1552 scan tool, they use at the vw dealerships.

The skills you gain, from its use; will transfer over to other cars, general auto troubleshooting skill set and this could help set you up for a career at a dealership or independent shop.

Diagnostic skills, are highly sought after and can be one of the top weaknesses, in the repair industry at large! Unfortunately, many "auto techs", are parts changers and use the "shot gun approach" to troubleshooting.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
haha, Im hoping to move into electric vehicles, thats the future and where the cash is made, 5% of mechanics in UK are qualified to touch electric cars and you NEED the qualification to touch them, the mechanical side is probably for my personal benefit ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Degreased the sump today, was bone dry no sludge, reinstalled the oil pickup, crank guard and sump and torqued it down. Cleaned head threads again and made some guiding dowels from the old bolts. New oil filter on, head gasket comes tomorrow so i'm all set for it :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Elring head gasket, bolts are just whatever i found on parts website, to me bolts are bolts!

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Elring, some say is the supplier for VW; i've used Victor Reinz and Felpro, which is very popular in the USA. Elring, seems to be the superior brand; they feel heavier, look to be quality made and definitely, seem to be a step above the others.

On the 1.8T, VW used torque to yield head bolts; V/Reinz, were what i used.

·
Registered
15,621 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Oh yeah I use Elring for all my gaskets if i can, my german mechanic friend made sure of that. Also 16v engine?! My car laughs with its 8v SOHC haha

201 - 220 of 271 Posts