VW Beetle Forum banner
221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
2006 1.6 Beetle Luna Cabriolet
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
No idea, lots of different ones, might be newer? I have the BFS engine, im glad its fairly simple. My Triumph Sprints inner workings make my car look like a children's jigsaw puzzle

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Hmm, I'm not that familiar with the 1.6L, as it never was installed here in the USA; VW, tends to progressively, update and improve their engines, as time goes on (8V to 16V head; does make sense). Members, here, from other parts of the world; do seem, to have this engine, including the even smaller 1.4L and so, they do seem to have been a popular engine with the New Beetle, outside the USA. His youtube channel, is all about the Mark IV Golf; which is the same platform as the New Beetle! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
What's the correct way to break-in these new rings? I can only have the car idle as until i pass my test i can t drive it un supervised.lol Start it up and let it bounce from idle to 2500 ish? for a while? then give it a good proper drive with a lot of engine breaking?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
2.2v battery, battery is dead, which is annoying. was bout to crank engine over to prime oil pump before installing the intake :I

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Always something with this car...Exhaust went on quite well, :) Might put it back together tomorrow anyway and just hope it works right off the bat.. lol!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Oh while im here, the head-liner is coming off the back window off my soft top, i hear its common, what clips do i need for it?

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Known issue on the cabrio; seems vw sells a repair kit and issued some service bulletins on the repair:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
So put it all back together today, fluids etc. didn't start, then i'm like.....did i put them fuel lines on the right way, which I DID not, so swapped them around and she runs. Then i proceeded to run it for 15minutes at 25%-35% rev range to seat them rings, was kinda cool you could tell the new rings had low compression then all of a sudden everything picked up., I turned it off and my coolant was overflowing, then it got drank like Lucozade at the Olympics, so i imagine it was burping some major air bubbles out. I topped it back up at the minimum line, Hopefully most of the air is out now, i ran out of coolant. lol. She got very hot, the cold engine light went out like it should and i got no red warning lights but the pipes and engine were very hot! what is best way to check the cooling fan? For my sake, I'm probably paranoid... lol

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
No, you are not paranoid; these engines can be tough to burp, typically the block will have air in it and it is hard to get the thermostat open when there is just air behind it. Some use different techniques, to get the air out; other vw's of the era had bleeder valves but they didn't on the New Beetle. In the factory vw service manual, vw actually indicates; the need for a vacuum filler tool, so they were aware of the problem. The fans typically won't come on until everything is fully filled correctly; after 10 or 15 minutes, they kick on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
well ill massage some pipe tomorrow I suppose lol hopefully to get it juicing, the radiator was hot, so must bet circulating, for some reason i couldn't connect to OBD scanner..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Happen to know what temp the fans meant to come on on these cars? I've had it to 92c and no fan was one before

221 - 240 of 271 Posts