VW Beetle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

Registered
It will be interesting, to hear; what the primary problem ends up being; seems this engine, is known, for having a number of issues, that causes the smoking problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
UPDATE! So i get right down to it, everything off, timing belt, bla bla bla....then i don't have a spanner big enough for the air injection and o2 sensor on the maifold....so have a adjustable one coming tomorrow, HOPEFULLY can get the head off, and then i can get to the fun bit....I managed to get 5 of the 6 exhaust nuts off, only snapping 1. Now that's impressive 馃槑

Registered

Registered
Post some photos of things or measure the fastener; then, find a socket? I guess you could take the part with you to a tool or auto parts store; sometimes, using a propane torch and/or penetrating lube, makes removal easier.

Registered
If you can, it would be cool, if you would post photos of your progress; we don't have the 1.6L engine here and so, it would be interesting, to see how this engine is setup and any issues you discover. We love carnage photos! Thanks! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Open bonnet
photo_2021-05-19_17-21-08.jpg

Intake Plenum, upper and lower removed, dip stick removed, air pump removed, fuel rail moved aside and spark plugs out.

photo_2021-06-04_12-32-14.jpg

Car jacked up, wheel off, scuttle cover and wing apron removed, Axillary belt and tensioner removed, Engine supported with jack, Engine mount removed, timing covers removed, timing belt and tensioner removed engine mount re-installed, camshaft sprocket and key removed, Exhaust separated
photo_2021-06-07_20-29-31 (2).jpg

Timing mark on Crank @tdc
photo_2021-06-07_20-29-31.jpg

And the O2 sesnor and air injection into exhuast manifold that stopped my progress for today.
photo_2021-06-07_20-29-31 (3).jpg

Registered
Cool, you are making process! Keep sharing those photos; this can help, the next person with a "smoke'n" 1.6L engine and help them, fix the same issue! :)

The 1.6L engine; definitely seems to take up less space in the engine compartment, i bet the smallest engine, the tiny 1.4L, even more so!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Id presume its very similar in size! Id recommend a Haynes manual, and youtube some good vids helped me out, this engine is used in so many cars, Audi, VW, Saab.... very common engine, and its rather easy to work on so far.

Registered
Europe and the rest of the world; has always had a much wider range of engines available in Volkswagen's in the various VAG brand vehicles; for some reason they limit what we can get.

My guess is that because gasoline has been historically lower cost, in North America; Volkswagen hasn't seem to need to supply us with the much smaller engines and cars. They are not concerned with selling, tiny micro cars, where the fuel consumption, operating costs, are such a issue as it is, in the UK and Europe. The thing is, is that the really tiny micro car segment is something that actually exist in the USA but for whatever reason Volkswagen has chosen not to compete in it; Japanese brands in at times US domestic brands, used to compete in that segment. At the current time US domestic brands like Chevy Dodge and Ford; have kind of given up on the traditional car in our emphasizing trucks and SUVs at the moment.

Also many of the cool cars Volkswagen produces, never make it to the USA at all; which is very frustrating! Classic examples would be the, New Beetle RSi, California "t" series vans, van/truck type service vehicles, Golf based mini work truck/service cars, the Polo, the Up!, the last Scirocco, and the Amarok mini trucks, small Fox SUV's from Brazil, the Gol, another Brazilian import, etc, the list goes on, on. Many many other vehicles Volkswagen produces for the rest of the world but not us! We are right next to Mexico and they have quite a fee cool; smaller vehicles, that we never get! I would also, like to see other VAG brands like Skoda and Seat; essentially VW technology, at a leaser price point but sharing many of the same parts, supplied in the.VW's!

Check out some of the cool models they sell in Mexico! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Did it finally, Just like 2 of King Hanry's wives, the head is off. That 02 sensor was never going to come off so i snipped the wires below the car and will use crimp connecters just encase!

Valve cover removed, showing camshaft
photo_2021-06-08_19-34-17.jpg

Finally got the head off with upper exhaust manifold and EGR with it, Had to take timing cover with it as i rounded the allen bolt, managed to get it off later when it was on my "bench" by hammering a torx bit into it. Snipped o2 sensor wire below car so it would come up.
photo_2021-06-08_19-34-17 (2).jpg

Fully disassembled 1.6 head (Not counting all the pieces of the valves, important not to mess up the order of the rockers and hydraulic adjusters.
photo_2021-06-08_19-10-21.jpg

Inspection of bores on all 4 cylinders were lovely, no scoring and cross-hatching was truly brill.
photo_2021-06-08_19-34-18 (2).jpg
photo_2021-06-08_19-34-18 (3).jpg
photo_2021-06-08_19-34-18 (4).jpg
photo_2021-06-08_19-34-18.jpg

Registered
I would have the whole head checked out, you have done all of this work to remove the head and you were having the smoking problem, I would have the whole thing evaluated and see what they say needs to be done to it! Definitely tell them what is going on with your engine and see if the evaluation indicates if anything related to the head is causing The smoking issue and needs to be addressed, rebuilt, resurfaced, etc.

Registered
While this cylinder head, is not specifically, a Volkswagen head; this thread goes over the typical things a machine shop would test and how they would rebuild it, to restore it to factory spec.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
拢48 to get it resurfaced, so defiantly doing that, will have them inspect it too, don't even have to take the valves out as they're not protruding, sweet, which also means i get to try out my valve tool kit and have a go at lapping valves! Which im kinda excited for. Whats the best way to go about cleaning all the carbon and crap off the valves and pistons? and best way to go about removing the old gasket and crud on the engine block?

61 - 80 of 92 Posts