VW Beetle Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Getting my cylinder head back from the machine shop today, so freshly resurfaced. Had a go at cleaning up my block, went rather well! Used gasket-remover with wd-40 and green scouring pads :) I couldn't get a lot of the marks of the mating surface but they feel smooth, so i dont think they'll be an issue. My suction cup valve lapping and compound came today, as well as the High temp sealant. Still waiting for the manifold gasket and the camshaft seal to turn up. Also checked the pistons side-to-side play and all felt quite nice

photo_2021-06-11_14-03-26.jpg

photo_2021-06-11_14-07-33.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
They diddn't notice anything visually, and they just resurfaced it, Im going to look at it really closely later look for cracks etc when i clean the combustion chamber, Looking forward to taking the valves apart, Im learning a lot, and im enjoying it. I just hope it all goes back together right first time! haha

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Checking for cracks and pressure testing; is where their expertise, really shines. Evaluating, the valve guide wear and other issues; would definitely, be things to check out and pretty much everything should be checked, as the cylinder head is removed and you are trying to solve a smoking issue. DId you tell them, that you are working on resolving a smoking problem; this is the type of thing I would communicate about and that way, they can check things for you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Forgot to mention that. LOL, re-assembling the vlaves is impossible, I cannot get the spring retainers back in for life of me...tried the plastic bag method and a few others but no luck, Haven't got a spring compressor

Freshly machined head
photo_2021-06-11_21-40-10.jpg

Lapped valve seats
photo_2021-06-11_21-40-09 (2).jpg
photo_2021-06-11_21-40-09.jpg

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Yeah, getting things apart; is one thing, getting them back together, can be a whole 'norther ball of wax!

Did you check the condition of the valve guides?

This is just a quick; "feel" based check but technically, you would use measuring tools:

measuring the normal way:

This might be a blessing in disguise; it maybe worth, having the machine shop, check everything and that way, you can be proof positive, everything is in spec, put back together correctly.

By the time you buy calipers, snap gage, testing the valve springs, dial indicator etc; so you can check everything, to confirm things are in spec and the correct spring compressor to put everything back together, etc.; it is probably cheaper, to have them handle things, then do any work that needs to be done (vavle job, valve grinding, replacement guides, etc).

In this video, they use the correct valve spring compressor tool; here in the USA, you can typically buy the correct tool or some auto parts stores, even rent them out for free.

Because, the head is so small; it maybe, possible, to buy a large C-clamp and fabricate, looking at the video, a spring type compressor yourself out of leftover scrap metal or try to borrow the correct, universal type spring compressor tool, that would work?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I have a compressor, sort of leverage bar that bolts onto the head, il have a go tomorrow, with fresh eyes and hands! Yeah the valve guides were very nice, like thhey hold the valves perfectly even when its pointing down

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
You might be able to fab; some add ons to the leverage bar and make it work? Pretty common, to make your own tools; when budget and time, doesn't allow you to purchase the factory vw tools, that would make install a snap! ;)

81 - 92 of 92 Posts