NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2006 Beetle and the alarm is acting really weird. At first the system would not arm itself and the trunk light would stay on. Now from reading other issues I understand that this was due to the trunk switch acting up with possible water creeping in. This was not so much an issue until recently. After a week or so the problem fixed itself, the trunk light went away and the car would arm itself (small beep when using key fob). Recently after locking and arming the car the alarm will suddenly go off. It usually is not immediate but takes a few minutes. When I experienced it I just went around and closed each door and trunk separately and it stopped. Forgot to mention she also has a sunroof.

Now I know taking it to the dealer will mean a fortune in repairs. Is there a simple way of disabling the alarm (horn) while still leaving the remote locking mechanism active. She simply wants to be able to lock the vehicle and not have the alarm go off before she has chance to walk away.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The alarm horn is separate from the car horns. I believe it is on the firewall just below the windshield, drivers side. I'm certain it can be unplugged, at least temporarily. You have a problem, that can probably be self diagnosed on here, with a little time. The problem will not go away, and may aultimately create more issues.

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
The trunk switch could still be the culprit. If you lock it all up and the car thinks the trunk is open, it could trigger the alarm. I'd start there since you know it was an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts