NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I just bought this pre-owned 2006 Beetle Convertible, and I replaced the old bulbs with the H7 Xenon Low Beam Headlights Bulbs 8500K. For some reasons, these bulbs are on even in the daytime without me turning on the switch.

My problem is that the headlights are not bright enough compared to my previous vehicles like 98 honda accord, 2000 toyota camry. It is hard to see the road especially when there is an incoming car on the opposite side.

I even turned everything on - fog lights and headlights and still had alot of trouble seeing the road.

Is that how it is for the halogen bulbs on these VW Beetles?
I have no clue which one is the DRL and which one is the actually low beam.

Thank you very much for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The NB uses Halogen H7 bulbs not HIDs, I'm a bit confused on that. The low beams ARE the DRLs but at a reduced voltage so they don't burn as brightly as when turned on. If your using HID bulbs in halogen lights they may not be burning properly anyway, as using HIDs is not quite that simple, there is more equipment involved. You may also have clouded lens issues which may be affecting the performace of your headlights, or you could have wiring issues, causing insuffiecient voltage to get to your headlights. It's possible that the change over relay (related to the DRL switching) is bad and they are not operating correctly.

There is a terrible misconception about the use of HID bulbs, and the "k" nomenclature, like 8500k. The 8500k is a measure of the color, yours should be somewhere between blue and purple. It is not a measure of how the bulbs light the subject ahead. That is measured in leumens, and manufacturers don't publish this for good reason (selling bulbs). The 8500k color range, actually from about 5000k is all wrong for headlights, they don't produce light useful to the human eye. They will appear much brighter immediately in front of the car, but for distance they are crap, especially when used with reflectors that are designed for halogen bulbs.

For an excellent read, all about headlight lighting, peruse this sight for all the related topics.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

The BEST bulbs currently on the market for H1 & H7 use (NBs) are Oshram Eurpoean, not Oshram Sylvania. Go here -
Oshram Bulbs
Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, Philips Xtreme Power, Osram NightBreaker globes - Powerbulbs.

MORAV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The NB uses Halogen H7 bulbs not HIDs, I'm a bit confused on that. The low beams ARE the DRLs but at a reduced voltage so they don't burn as brightly as when turned on. If your using HID bulbs in halogen lights they may not be burning properly anyway, as using HIDs is not quite that simple, there is more equipment involved. You may also have clouded lens issues which may be affecting the performace of your headlights, or you could have wiring issues, causing insuffiecient voltage to get to your headlights. It's possible that the change over relay (related to the DRL switching) is bad and they are not operating correctly.

There is a terrible misconception about the use of HID bulbs, and the "k" nomenclature, like 8500k. The 8500k is a measure of the color, yours should be somewhere between blue and purple. It is not a measure of how the bulbs light the subject ahead. That is measured in leumens, and manufacturers don't publish this for good reason (selling bulbs). The 8500k color range, actually from about 5000k is all wrong for headlights, they don't produce light useful to the human eye. They will appear much brighter immediately in front of the car, but for distance they are crap, especially when used with reflectors that are designed for halogen bulbs.

For an excellent read, all about headlight lighting, peruse this sight for all the related topics.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

The BEST bulbs currently on the market for H1 & H7 use (NBs) are Oshram Eurpoean, not Oshram Sylvania. Go here -
Oshram Bulbs
Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, Philips Xtreme Power, Osram NightBreaker globes - Powerbulbs.

MORAV
Thanks for the information. The bulbs I bought were XENO, but not HID. They are halogen and HID like which means they are bright as close as HID type, but they are not HID. I can't connect the HID bulbs to the halogen headlight without the ballast converter.

for Oshram Sylvania:
It says 10% whiter light. Does that mean 90% yellow and 10% white?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks for the information. The bulbs I bought were XENO, but not HID. They are halogen and HID like which means they are bright as close as HID type, but they are not HID. I can't connect the HID bulbs to the halogen headlight without the ballast converter.

for Oshram Sylvania:
It says 10% whiter light. Does that mean 90% yellow and 10% white?
Without researching, I'm ssuming they mean the "k" is kicked up 10%, Maybe like from 4000k to 4400k, not sure. Does it say whiter or brighter? The Oshram Sylvania are junk, no life. The Oshram Euro's (and yes, thet are xenon gas filled, but not HIDs also) are about the same price, that source I gave you, came to me with excellent accolades (as did the bulbs), and I'm told they ship quickly. I posted comments from users in a thread somewhere. Go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/52075-oshram-v-oshram-sylvania-bulbs.html?highlight=oshram
Or here-
VWVortex.com - Best headlight replacement

If your buying some garbage halos that are claiming 8500k, as far as color they may be, but as far as usefulness, you're buying hype, and they probably are not SAE certified, and may even say "off road use only" on the pack.

M.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without researching, I'm ssuming they mean the "k" is kicked up 10%, Maybe like from 4000k to 4400k, not sure. Does it say whiter or brighter? The Oshram Sylvania are junk, no life. The Oshram Euro's (and yes, thet are xenon gas filled, but not HIDs also) are about the same price, that source I gave you, came to me with excellent accolades (as did the bulbs), and I'm told they ship quickly. I posted comments from users in a thread somewhere. Go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/52075-oshram-v-oshram-sylvania-bulbs.html?highlight=oshram
Or here-
VWVortex.com - Best headlight replacement

If your buying some garbage halos that are claiming 8500k, as far as color they may be, but as far as usefulness, you're buying hype, and they probably are not SAE certified, and may even say "off road use only" on the pack.

M.
OSRAM Night Breaker Plus is the one I should be buying?
What would be the output color?

As far as the one I bought, the output color is white. I thought it would be blue :(

Thanks alot

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Please don't get blue lights. They are extremely irritating to other drivers and really do nothing for you as far as being able to see better at night. All just show and looks, no better function.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
OSRAM Night Breaker Plus is the one I should be buying?
What would be the output color?

As far as the one I bought, the output color is white. I thought it would be blue :(

Thanks alot
Sorry, working and had a phone call.

I had not looked at the H7s since I use H1s, they don't list the Oshram Silverstar. Search their site for H7, not by your car and you will see what is available. Several different available including a "blue" for HID "affect", just make sure it is a 55w bulb and no higher. Sorry.

Yes, if the ones you bought were 8500k they should have been somewhere between blue and purple (like I sad, hype). What concerns me is that they are not, coupled with the statement that they are the same intensity whether DRL or switched to low beam (I'm going to have to look at the Owner's Manual for yours and see if in fact the DRLs are dimmed as they were on the earlier models. I don't know). I'm thinking you may have a voltage problem at the headlights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts