VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I sincerely hope this helps someone with the same issue I had.

Specs on car....2006 VW Beetle Convertible with 2.5 BPS engine, approximately 108k miles

Issue...Noticed engine idled "rough" - could hear and feel vibration through steering wheel.

Solution...in my case the ultimate solution came down to engine mounts - after replacing all three there was a noticeable difference - mind you this was after the following was done...spark plugs replaced with NKG (had autolights), fuel filter replaced, coil packs where checked (ohm out fine), replaced purge valve, air filter replaced, cleaned mass airflow sensor and lastly, engine was de-coked.

Now she purrrr's!

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check the PCV valve? It is a common failure; on the 2.5L engines:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-5-liter-gas/65633-re-2-5l-pcv-valve-failure-solutions-dorman.html

Also, any trouble codes?
Yes, I did. The PCV was one of the first things I did after reading on the forum as well as checking for any vacuum leaks.

I did get trouble codes but, no check engine light.

The trouble codes are/where...

01112 - Evap Purge Control Valve - I replaced it
09217 - Evap leak detect pump control circuit
09746 - A/C Refrig Distribution valve short to ground
00055 - oxygen sensor B152 heating circuit
00258 - mass airflow sensor signal too low
00049 - oxygen sensor B151 heating circuit

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
The "heater" codes; for the 02 sensors, usually require replacement to repair that issue. Be sure to buy genuine Bosch "oe" 02 sensors; look them up there for your car (be sure to use your engine code):

https://www.boschautoparts.com/auto

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
As far as the maf goes; I would try some testing, check the fuel trim levels and see if the maf readings, are low.

Fuel Trim Info - Ross-Tech Wiki

A scan tool with live data; would be required to do this type of testing. You might; buy a cheap ELM327 adapter off of amazon and a obdII app for you Apple ios {wifi))/Android (bluetooth) device (phone or tablet).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How bad were your motor mounts and what brand did you buy? I have found; cleaning and aligning, the throttle body, really helps the engine run at is best as well! :)
The engine, transmission and other mount where purchased through NAPA Auto Parts. I did a very good job of cleaning the throttle body and plate.

Question?...how do you align the throttle body?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Well, it depends on; whether or not you have a vw scan tool, like the Ross Tech VCDS.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vcds throttle body alignment

If you do not; a "poor man's TBA"; is said, to just turn the key to the "on" position without starting the motor. Wait for awhile; until the noises, from the throttle body stop and then you are done.

There is a ongoing debate; as to whether using a scan tool and just using the "poor" method, do the same thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts