NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just bought a 2006 TDI beetle today. The car is loaded, with sunroof, heated seats, monsoon sound, etc. It has the tan seats and I want to know how to tell if it is leather or leatherette? I was going to order a conditioner/cleaner from Lexol and they make 2 different products. One is for leather and one for leatherette.
Thanks!

·
Registered
937 Posts
If they are anything like the seats in almost all new cars that say they are leather, only the part that you touch while sitting is leather and the rest is pleather. The seats in my TS are half leather/half pleather, that's how they pinch pennies. I would just buy the leather cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Do you have pictures of the seats? No window sticker?

I bought my 2002 a year ago, and I was really lucky that the window sticker was with it. It told me exactly what I have.

A VIN number check can probably tell you what you have, too.

Good luck, and Welcome to the New Beetle TDI!! :party:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hello,
I just bought a 2006 TDI beetle today. The car is loaded, with sunroof, heated seats, monsoon sound, etc. It has the tan seats and I want to know how to tell if it is leather or leatherette? I was going to order a conditioner/cleaner from Lexol and they make 2 different products. One is for leather and one for leatherette.
Thanks!
Pretty easy to tell looking at it really, but the real test is to smell it. Leather smells like leather. If they are leather, by this age you should see evidence of drying and checking unless someone has taken awfully good care.
The steering wheel may or may not be leather, the ebrake pull may or may not be, ditto the shifter (M/T) boot, and the dash passenger grab handle may or may not be, these were treated differently on different models and years. Regardless of what your seats are, the door panels are vinyl.

Yahoo Auto has it as vinyl (the generic name for "Leatherette"), as the standard, with leather optional, either Trim Pak 1 or Pkg 2 or both, not specified.
Standard Features - 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI - Yahoo! Autos

How to find to mini-build sheet for your specific vehicle can be found here-
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/new-member-forum/86538d1314217637-newbie-welcome-kit-identification-labels-plates.pdf
and can be deciphered here -
VW Group Option Codes Decoder

MORAV

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seats

Thanks,
My wifes 2011 Jetta is leatherette and has a dull look. These seats are more shiney and starting to show some minor creases. i am thinking they are real leather??????

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Was the Turbo S standard with the two tone leather or was there leather options for TS as well?

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Turbo S - Standard two-tone heated leather sport seats. :bowdown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts