NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Okay I was on my way home from a quick Wal-mart run on Thursday night when all the sudden there's a cop pulling me over... Great. Second time in 6 months (about the same amount of time I've been driving, YIKES!). Anyways, he was pulling me over to inform me that my license plate light was out... No real biggie my dad can look at it. Well he pulls off the fuse panel to find all these weird pictures trying to inform us which is which, I do not have an owners manual as I bought the car second hand.

Can anyone give me a diagram showing me which fuse goes to the license plate light for a 2006 Beetle? Or Just tell me what the picture looks like on the panel that goes to that particular fuse. Thanks! - Linzolla

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Or you could take out the plate bulb to see if it is, in fact, blown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I suggested, but my dad kind of wanted to check the fuses because he thought it was weird that both of the lights would go out at the same time.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
110 Posts
answering the original question

Because I hate threads where people know the answer (or should before answering) but never end up answering the question. Also incomplete threads like this inevitably end up being the top of every search because search engines are evil like that.

So for posterity sake, anyone looking for which fuse does what like I was here the link to a thread with the full diagram. I was looking for which fuse was the going to the license plate lights as well.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...w-beetle/31634-fuse-box-translation-card.html

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
110 Posts
another though

Back again...
So, same beetle, same problem, however I have yet another tip on how to deal with it.

Of course check the bulb(s) as they are the weak point. Then you can check the fuse, which is #4... starting from the top left of the upper section of fuses that is down one, over one.

Don't just take out the fuse, look to see that the element is ok, and replace. Yes the fuse is ok, but that doesn't mean that it is doing its job. Also check that the leads are clean, scrape them off with the edge of a knife or screwdriver unti lyou see shiny metal, then replace. In my case, this time this is what fixed the problem.

Also... these bulbs have excellent LED replacements on Amazon for a few dollars. I have them on my other beetle and havent had to worry about it once since. If you can find ones with flat leads that would be preferable, as the round leaded ones can be squirrely and slip out of the connector.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
bulbs

Back again...
So, same beetle, same problem, however I have yet another tip on how to deal with it.

Of course check the bulb(s) as they are the weak point. Then you can check the fuse, which is #4... starting from the top left of the upper section of fuses that is down one, over one.

Don't just take out the fuse, look to see that the element is ok, and replace. Yes the fuse is ok, but that doesn't mean that it is doing its job. Also check that the leads are clean, scrape them off with the edge of a knife or screwdriver unti lyou see shiny metal, then replace. In my case, this time this is what fixed the problem.

Also... these bulbs have excellent LED replacements on Amazon for a few dollars. I have them on my other beetle and havent had to worry about it once since. If you can find ones with flat leads that would be preferable, as the round leaded ones can be squirrely and slip out of the connector.
Thanks for posting your findings. I just replaced the same bulbs a week ago and these were the original bulbs from 2006
when I bought the car. If bulbs last 10 years I see no reason to go with LED ones, not to knock down your Idea though if folks want to spend the money they should go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts