NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Drive Green! Eat Green!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so everyone is aware of this, I thought it might be good to start a thread with "recall" in the title.

Dealerships are now receiving official notification from VW that the 2006 Beetles have defective instrument clusters. The cluster must be replaced (and you'll have to return all your keys when it is).

Many of us have cited problems with our new Beetles (my odometer keeps resetting, others have had problems with the engine immobilizer, etc.) I took my Beetle in yesterday with various problems (the odometer, the side window visor, etc.) and asked about the recall. My dealer had just received notification (and he seemed surprised that I already knew about it--I love newbeetle.org!)

If you've purchased a 2006 Beetle recently or are planning to buy one, make sure you check into the recall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
can anyone confirm this as a nationwide recall in usa?
my cluster has no problem yet, but the side-window sun visor has the handle broken suddenly. :confused: I thought I only tried it once...:(

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
yep, it's for real

I stopped by the dealer this afternoon on the way home and they confirmed that they had just gotten notification of this recall. I believe "M4 campaign" was the term they used. Of course, they have to order the part, so it will be sometime in January before our gets fixed. So far, no problems, so I'm knocking wood and keeping the cell phone charged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
TDI4ever said:
I just got a recall letter in the mail today. If folks want I can summarize it as its pretty long.

TDI4ever

<~~~ Interested... lets get the 'gist' of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The gist of the letter is..

The problem is that if the interior of the 2006 NB drops below 40 degrees F the car may not start due to a fault within the instrument cluster that may inadvertently activate the anti-theft (immobolizer).

So call the dealership and the'll inspect your cluster up intil 5/31/07. If they need to replace the cluster they need all your keys so they can be matched with the new cluster.

If you've had to be towed in the past or whatever you can ask to be re-imbursed.

TDI4ever

·
Dewbie & Just Duckie
26 Posts
If you have the recall, get it done ASAP. This happened to my 2003 color concept when I was coming home from Roswell in 2004. Got stuck in Santa Fe on Monday after R2K. Stopped to get something to drink and the car would not start, VW had me try some stuff but the immobilizer would not recognize my keys, even after the dealer tried 3 times to reprogram it. It was no fun because I had leave my car and then go back after they got the car fixed.

Tammy

·
Registered
29 Posts
just came back from the dealer today. they placed an order for the broken side-window sun visor for my car. they have a stack of recall-related notification fax specific for each VIN on the table. Half of them have the writing "No Recall", and the rest clearly indicated "Recall". The dealer said not all 06 NB needs to be recalled for the cluster problems. My passenger side power window has sporadic problem as mentioned by other users (it will be automatically put down when closing it fully.). The service guy knew the issue even without having me describe the problem completely. Yeah, it must be a very common issue due to the sensor sensitivity threshold setting. Anyway, by now, my car is so far so good! :p
hope everybody enjoy 06 and older nb.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
conflicting information

Interesting. When I went by the dealer, the day after they got the notice (and it showed up here!), they said they'd order the part and call me when it arrived.

I got the recall letter last week and it said to call the dealer and they would check the car to see if it needs to have the cluster replaced. So, I called and they said "don't bring it in until the cluster gets here."

I guess they're trying to save me a trip. But it seems to be based on the pessimistic guess that the cluster probably is bad.

I'd be interested in knowing what percantage of them actually need the repair. We should start keeping track here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah. it is a good idea to track the ratio with the cluster malfunctioned.
the dealer did tell me that several brand new, in stock, 06NB failed to start on the dealer's parking lot when there were frozen cold last month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts