NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 TDI Beetle that runs good with 54xxx miles.

I have dont nothing to it except oil changes and filter changes.

What I need to know is...

What can i do to it, to give it a tune up?

It doesnt start RIGHT ....INSTANTLY UP when i turn the key.. It seem that is is a little slow to starting from exactly when I turn the key....

The glow light is off but seems slower then when it was brand new.

It use to start in about 2-3 seconds of cranking

now it takes about 5-7 seconds

I would like to know what I need to replace to keep it running good and tuned up.....

Thanks

Chris

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Here's the VW Maintenance schedule for your 2006 TDI
You should go through it carefully and make sure all of the required service maintenance has been done. If nothing has been done since you've owned it, I would do everything that is posted for the 40,000 mile maintenance. And, do the full flush and replace of the brake fluid. That is probably way overdue.
Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing brake fluid is a good idea but it has nothing to do with the starting...... Plus this chart said check ATF fluid level.... Isn't this a closed system ?

Anyone else have some ideas?

Thanks
Chris

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Well all that was mostly in response to your question on what to do to keep it tuned up. Which is important. There is no dipstick on the trans, but its not a "closed system" like VW would like you to think. You'll need VAG-COM to properly change the fluid, but it can be done by you, and should be done, at least every 100k, but more like every 40k-60k to keep the trans going for a long time. Although, with an '06 TDI, don't you have a DSG? Also, keep in mind that the timing belt is also a year based wear item. 6-7 years is about as long as I'd go on a belt. So I'd think about getting that done.

As for the slow starting, where are you located? How cold is it there? How old is the battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rk
Well all that was mostly in response to your question on what to do to keep it tuned up. Which is important. There is no dipstick on the trans, but its not a "closed system" like VW would like you to think. You'll need VAG-COM to properly change the fluid, but it can be done by you, and should be done, at least every 100k, but more like every 40k-60k to keep the trans going for a long time. Although, with an '06 TDI, don't you have a DSG? Also, keep in mind that the timing belt is also a year based wear item. 6-7 years is about as long as I'd go on a belt. So I'd think about getting that done.

As for the slow starting, where are you located? How cold is it there? How old is the battery?
What is DSG?

What is vag-com?

About the starting ...

It is not battery..it does not matter if we park outside or inside.. it seem to have to crank alittle to double as long as it did when new.

I have never own a diesel ... I have worked on all my cars and know about everything u said. Can timing gear be a DIY ? Like other cars I have done?

Thanks for all your help ,Chris

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
DSG is a type of transmission. I think the "autos" for the '04-'06 NB TDIs were DSG and not a standard auto/tiptronic, but I'm not 100% certain.

VAG-COM is a vw diagnostic tool: Ross-Tech: Home

Have you had the battery tested? Diesels need a good bit of power to get started. The glow plugs suck down a lot. If the battery is the slightest bit on its way out, that could cause longer starting for sure.

You can also try unplugging the coolant temp sensor and see if that has any affect (it will let the glow plugs stay on a little longer).

The timing belt can be a DIY, but you have to follow the instructions 100% and need to have special tools to do it, including VAG-COM. Plenty of DIY info on TDIClub.com and myturbodiesel.com.

If you are planning on doing your own work on the car, buy yourself the Bentley Service Manual for the car. Best manual you could own and will have all maintenance schedule as well.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
DSG is the Direct Shift Gearbox auto transmission that was only offered on the 2004 NB TDI. You have the standard issue five speed tiptronic transmission in your 06.
VCDS (or VAG-COM as it was called) is the Volkswagen Computer Diagnostic Software from Ross-Tech that connects to your ECM through the OBDII port and can analyze many modules on the vehicle and point to problems and detect DTC's (defect trouble codes) when your check engine light comes on.
As far as doing the timing belt, water pump and tensioner service yourself, it is very doable but as Smileybug has mentioned, you need to have the proper tools to do the job. It is a bit easier on the BEW diesel's (which you have) and you DO NOT need VCDS to do it. But, without the proper tools it would be a bit of a challenge and the risk of not getting the camshaft locked and the crankshaft locked is too great when you consider that these engines are interference engines and just a few teeth off on a timing belt will grenade the valves into the pistons pretty quickly.
Now, as far as the hard starting is concerned, dirty fuel, air in the fuel line, a clogged egr valve, clogged intake manifold all will contribute to difficult starting. Glow plugs are only necessary for temperatures below 40F so if you are having difficulty starting in moderate temps, glow plugs won't help.
There are two things that will cause hard starting.
1. If you have a weak or failing engine speed sensor, located on the front bottom of the engine block, then it will absolutely prevent the engine from starting. It works in concert with the crankshaft position sensor but a faulty crankshaft sensor will still allow the engine to start. A bad engine speed sensor will not allow the engine to start under any circumstances.
2. A bad fuel lift pump in the fuel tank. The PD engines are different from the 2003 and earlier TDI's. Instead of having a tandem fuel pump in the engine bay, there is a lift pump in the fuel tank that runs momentarily when you turn the ignition on to prime the secondary fuel pump and build pressure in the system. If that pump fails, the engine will start but will take longer since it now has to rely on the secondary pump only to pull full through the fuel filter and deliver it to the individual high pressure pumps in each cylinder. You can check this by listening for the pump to run under the rear seat when you turn the ignition on. If you don't hear a short hum, then you have a bad lift pump and it will need to be replaced.

Kinda a long explanation here but hopefully you will have some insight on your issue and can better diagnose the problem. It sounds like you're fairly adept at this car stuff so it shouldn't be to difficult for ya.
Again, an excellent resource for all things TDI is to visit Freds TDI Club at Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community for everything you ever wanted to know about VW diesels.
Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
great service guide, now I have a question, it says Diesel particulate filter should be changed 100,000 miles. what is it and is it an easy change out I can do?

now to your questions. I would definately have a diesel guru near you do the TB water pump service. they need special tools and vag com to set timing something you wouldnt have I had mine doen foro $650 and $150 cleaned out my manifild.

I have read the glow plugs may need changed . although I fdont nitice any problems at start up yet on mine. I think they have all given you good odeas. Fuel filter shouldbe chaged every 20,000 if you havent done it, that may be problem . I would have batteries tested to, if the glow plugs take alot of juice dont need weak batteries so wouldnt hurt tio have them tested

·
Registered
99 Posts
DSG is the Direct Shift Gearbox auto transmission that was only offered on the 2004 NB TDI. You have the standard issue five speed tiptronic transmission in your 06.
VCDS (or VAG-COM as it was called) is the Volkswagen Computer Diagnostic Software from Ross-Tech that connects to your ECM through the OBDII port and can analyze many modules on the vehicle and point to problems and detect DTC's (defect trouble codes) when your check engine light comes on.
As far as doing the timing belt, water pump and tensioner service yourself, it is very doable but as Smileybug has mentioned, you need to have the proper tools to do the job. It is a bit easier on the BEW diesel's (which you have) and you DO NOT need VCDS to do it. But, without the proper tools it would be a bit of a challenge and the risk of not getting the camshaft locked and the crankshaft locked is too great when you consider that these engines are interference engines and just a few teeth off on a timing belt will grenade the valves into the pistons pretty quickly.
Now, as far as the hard starting is concerned, dirty fuel, air in the fuel line, a clogged egr valve, clogged intake manifold all will contribute to difficult starting. Glow plugs are only necessary for temperatures below 40F so if you are having difficulty starting in moderate temps, glow plugs won't help.
There are two things that will cause hard starting.
1. If you have a weak or failing engine speed sensor, located on the front bottom of the engine block, then it will absolutely prevent the engine from starting. It works in concert with the crankshaft position sensor but a faulty crankshaft sensor will still allow the engine to start. A bad engine speed sensor will not allow the engine to start under any circumstances.
2. A bad fuel lift pump in the fuel tank. The PD engines are different from the 2003 and earlier TDI's. Instead of having a tandem fuel pump in the engine bay, there is a lift pump in the fuel tank that runs momentarily when you turn the ignition on to prime the secondary fuel pump and build pressure in the system. If that pump fails, the engine will start but will take longer since it now has to rely on the secondary pump only to pull full through the fuel filter and deliver it to the individual high pressure pumps in each cylinder. You can check this by listening for the pump to run under the rear seat when you turn the ignition on. If you don't hear a short hum, then you have a bad lift pump and it will need to be replaced.

Kinda a long explanation here but hopefully you will have some insight on your issue and can better diagnose the problem. It sounds like you're fairly adept at this car stuff so it shouldn't be to difficult for ya.
Again, an excellent resource for all things TDI is to visit Freds TDI Club at Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community for everything you ever wanted to know about VW diesels.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Wrong. My 2006 bug TDI has a 6 speed DSG. It's service interval is 40K miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts