NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum after purchasing a few weeks ago a 1999.

Really enjoying the vehicle and so far no issues. After cleaning the car over the last weeks I have noticed just how good the paint is, many people commenting on how much younger the car actually looks.

The only thing that perhaps lets it down are the bumpers and I was thinking of getting these re-sprayed.

Looking at the front bumper the lower grill/spoiler area is damaged so I can buy one of these new. Then I found the spot lamp bracket broken and the bracket on the bumper that holds the grill to the bumper. The parts are so cheap for the beetle it seems that I then thought new bumper is in order - but should I just replace with a 1999-2006 version - or can a 2006-> bumper fit without too much work.

I have found on eBay front bumpers for about 50euro and rears for about the same. Spraying and fitting is 400euro.

But is it as simple as changing only bumpers? Do I need to change wing liners? Wings/fenders? Headlamps?

I am expecting to have to change bumper bars, but assuming they use the same pickup points on the body.

Any experience welcomed on this, and I hope to post some pictures soon.

Sorry if his has been discussed before, but I searched and couldn't find anything on face lifting the earlier models.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've tried to find the answer to this but haven't found it. I believe the chassis is the same save for the metal lower rocker panels might be different. The fenders will have to be matched to the same bumper type, flat/rounded sides. Alot of the bugs I see are flat fender these days. Rollin it old school with my 98 I guess!?

If you do plan on switching, figure you will have to swap everything, even inner brackets and tail lights/head lights ect.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
The simple answer is No.
Both front and rear covers are different from the 99. Rocker panels will not match the 06 fenders. Tail lights and reverse lights are different both in shape and size. Front headlights are different in size and the mounting hardware and electrical plugs are completely different.
Sorry for the bad news, but, without a significant amount of mechanical and body work, it's not worth the effort to try and fit a newer fender/bumper cover on an older NB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts