NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find a set of door panels to replace the ones in my 2006 convertible? I'm having a hard tome finding any. Ours are cracked and splitting in different areas of the panel. The only ones I see so far are on Ebay and they do not look much better than mine and they want $600-$1500 for a pair.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2007 Beetle Convertible
23 Posts
I’m looking for the same thing for my 07. eBay has them but they’re in rough shape. Not sure why people would sell damaged ones when buyers are looking for ones that don’t have damage in the common places lol

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Because, of the cost and having them being, hard to find. You might try rebuilding yours; I ended up finding some damaged panels at my local junk yard, for next to nothing. I cannibalized the parts, from my old and the used broken one and had enough good parts, to make one good panel. It took time and some trail, error but ended up working out ok. Your original panels, maybe repairable; you might post up some photos and indicate, the cracks, problems you are having. Many have repaired their panels with positive results; you probably, can too! :)

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
A764FF02-BEF6-4FC6-9465-38623EB669F2.jpeg

I had a number of clip mounts; like this, on my door panel, that were broken! I got creative and found some thin galvanized sheet metal; from some ductwork and fabricated a metal mount, epoxied and riveted it, to the inside of the sides of the mount and added epoxy for good measure. I used a die grinder (or Dremel rotary tool) with various bits, to grind, shape and a drill, to replicate the plastic mount. I ground off the remainder of the top of the broken mount; so, it was the same height as the original mount but with sheet metal. I was surprised how well it turned out; it is bullet proof and it will not break. Obviously, you need to treat these panels with care; as the plastics, get brittle with age. So, I think, you can come up with epoxy; some sheet metal and make some functional mounting areas, that are broken/busted out. I was able to fix my mounts and I have ALL my door panel clips in place; I found, this is crucial, to make the door fit and be a solid composite piece, that stays in place and won't fall apart.

Once you make the metal mounts, if there are cosmetic flaws; gaps in the plastic, you can try plastic epoxy/extra plastic or metal to reinforce the panel (back it up structurally), fiberglass matting, body filler or plastic welding, to make it look good and then, try, the Duplicolor interior paints, to finish it off. I used the duplicolor interior/vinyl paint; and was truly amazed, how good it turned out!

I also, had broken door pulls; I found a METAL replacement door pull cover, that reinforces the old door pull and that is another, "solid as a rock" repair kit, that will never break again! It is very SOLID, when you pull on it and is even stronger, then the original plastic door pull and totally removed the stress from the panel itself (the primary problem with the stock design). They come in the stock colors (beige, black, gray, etc) and are powder coated; very durable and look stock, which is what I prefer over the cut aluminum ones, that are sold all over the web these days. Lastly, aside from the look; they reused, the inner plastic handle itself and go over, the top, like the original cover did and that is how it reinforces the plastic inner handle. My handle was cracked and so, I used some plastic epoxy, along with some coat hanger wire, drilled holes ran it through the handle, glueing everything together, even the metal reinforced handle. Super solid; it ain't go anywhere! :) Also, the Motorking repair handle cover; is more comfortable, then the thin aluminum ones and retains the plastic rounded handle, as before.

Metal Reinforced Door Panel Handle Repair Kit For VW Beetle by MotorKing

·
Registered
12,687 Posts

I used DG's video; as a guide, to epoxy the door handle but didn't use the beetle brace, went with the MotorKing version. In addition, to the Loctite plastic epoxy; I drilled holes inside the "honeycomb" structural portions of the handle and put two lengths of coat hanger wire, had them go into the back of the door panel (bent/wrapped them; to secure them tightly by pulling with needle nose pliers). After all that, I installed the MotorKing handle repair kit; bolted everything down and let it dry overnight. Again, really solid results; I don't see, ever having a issue again.

Your other areas of the panel; that have cracks, I would grind on the back, to make a good surface for plastic epoxy and create a structural reinforcement, to fix the crack. You could get some paper; to make a template, for thin or thicker metal back up foundation, to reinforce the cracked portion of the panel. Apply the plastic epoxy, install the metal and clamp, with some wood or vise grip style clamps, let dry overnight. For the crack, you could leave as is or use body filler, plastic epoxy, to fill up the crack; then, repaint as needed. I had one tiny hairline crack; above the door handle, similar to you and I just left it, as it was not that noticeable.

While my door panel is not cosmetically perfect; it is functional, solid and will not break anymore.

Door panel with cracked; top cap and original door handle.

Door panel, new/used repainted top cap installed, rebuilt/epoxied and Motor King handle installed (caps for bolts not installed).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts