NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just bought my wife a new (for us anyway) 2006 NBC. Everything is great except when the roof is closed there's a knocking/rattle over bumps. It seems to be coming from where the roof meets the windshield. I thought I read somewhere there is a latch fix for it but I can't find it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My 2003 has the same issue, I have not bothered trying to resolve the issue, however, there are 2 rubber bumpers on the top of the windshield`that may get compressed and there is also some adjustments and shims under the plastic cover piece that the handle comes through.

Again, I have not bothered to figure out how to adjust everything. If I have time I may check the Bentley manual, however, sometimes convertible specific details are not well covered.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
There's a fix for that.
Here's the TSB that covers it and you can get the grommets for cheap money at any dealer or online using the part number indicated.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
The rubber bushing thing will fix most of those issues. But every once in a while even with those rubber bushing on the guide pins you can still get a "popping" noise. This can be caused by the metal hook shifting on the post it hooks onto at the top of the windshield frame.

Just take a dab of wheel bearing grease and put it on that post the hook catches on. The post above shows the metal hook, but not the post in question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a fix. which I believe solves the problem better than TB's, spacers, or grease. I posted this a while back....our 2004 had loud rattles going over even small bumps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There was not a squeaking problem with ours, but more of clunking or rattling when going over bumps, even the slightest. I got in there and made the real fix......under the cover that has the hooks that latch down the top there is an adjustment for both sides. The large plastic cover pops off, and there are two arms with ball fitting with screw-in or out adjustments (first remove the wire spring clips, then snap the bracket off the ball). The issue is not that the top is not pulled down enough, it is. Watch the top as the top handle is operated to latch and un-latch the top. It is being pulled down. I found the problem is the hooks are not being pushed quite enough to prevent side to side movement (the pin fits into the very right angle of the hook). Make a slight adjustment so the the inside side of the hook is also snug against the pin, not just the horizontal surface. I made a one revolution on both sides (lengthening, not shortening the arm). Keep in mind slight, then try the operation, including trying to move the hook side to side after the adjustment (but try before any adjustments to see the play)."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also found that the "post" that the large hook latches on to in the windshield frame has a metal sleeve around it. On mine, the one on the pass side was dry and squeaky when rotated. I added a couple drops of light oil to the sleeve and worked it around so the sleeve freely rotated without resistance or squeaking and that right there cured my squeak / rattle when going over bumps with the top up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts