NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Middle Tennessee
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was using her CD and when she went to take it out, it just started clicking. I've read here you have to remove the radio and release it from either the back or the inside. I've purchased the removal keys to do it. I put the keys in (click click)and the radio won't budge. Anyone have a clue as to what the problem is. I've watched videos, and it looks quite simple to do. It just won't budge no matter how hard I pull. Is the 2006 head unit different from previous models.. Any help is appreciated. -robert

·
Middle Tennessee
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a rubber grommet that is on the back of the radio to support it while in the car. It fits into a slotted bracket behind the radio, there is also anti vibration foam on the top and bottom covers. have you tried angling the removal keys while pulling?
I've tried it several times. I insert the keys. They snap in, and yank like hell, in different directions. I have to pad my fingers I'm pulling so hard. I eventually yank the keys out.

I suspect the car is out of warrenty, so I'm going to have to pay big bucks to get the damn thing out. I have a store bought audio CD stuck in it. I figured, if I could get the radio out, I could get the CD out. Back to square one.

·
Middle Tennessee
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I couldn't get my keys to pull my unit either. I ended up inserting the keys to unlock the unit. Then I inserted 2 pieces of bent clothes hanger wire into the left and right side of the cd slot to pull the unit out.
With your and "thorgipsy"'s tip gives me hope that I just need to be patient and wiggle it out. Thanks to both of you. I'll let everyone know if this works.. :)

·
Middle Tennessee
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I couldn't get my keys to pull my unit either. I ended up inserting the keys to unlock the unit. Then I inserted 2 pieces of bent clothes hanger wire into the left and right side of the cd slot to pull the unit out.
Well I tried this. Even with the coat hangers. The head unit won't budge. Also, my battery keeps dieing. I pulled the 25 amp SOUND fuse and drawn amps dropps to .03 level. It was 2.75 amps whicl lead me to beleive the stuck CD is keeping the amplifier on thus draining the battery..:confused:

Can you see the radio from the topside? If one can then this may be my last ditch effort to remove this bast$#d.

·
Middle Tennessee
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You won't be able to unfortunately.
Well that's a bummer. The keys pull out with the amount of effort I'm exerting on them. I've seen U-tube videos where the Head Unit simply slides out. I did howevere get the wifes CD out witha pair of sweezers. Appears the clamp that holds the CD while it's pulled in doesn't work anymore. I did find that the amp was staying hot and running the battery down. I pulled that fuse and amps dropped to 0.03 with the key off. There has to be a relay stuck somewhere that's keeping the amp hot with the key off. It pulls about 2.75 amps with the key off till I pulled that fuse. Now if I could just get the [email protected] radio out I'd buy another one and be done with it. :mad:

·
Registered
73 Posts
mine wouldn't pull out either and i got forearms like Popey's

ends up, i was using the wrong keys (nr 2 for mercedes) instead of nr 3 for vw.

·
Middle Tennessee
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you push the keys in with the notches facing each other? Are you positive you have the right keys?

http://www.mattcaron.net/projects/vw_stereo_removal/radio_removal_key_inst.jpg
Here's a picture of the keys I used which I ordered off of eBay. They appear to be the correct keys.

I'd like to know just what the keys do. Also is there a lever or something else that's not unlatching. I saw a picture on here of a black looking lever on the back of the head unit. What is that?
:(

Attachments

·
Middle Tennessee
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update. I was able to retrieve the CD with a pair of sweezers. The CD wasn't clamped inside and it slid right out. The power loader clamp doesn't appear to be working. Another reason to remove the unit. Also the audio amp was staying on after the cd got stuck causing it to not go into sleep mode.

There was enough amperage to run the battery down in a little over 24 hours of idle use. I pulled the SOUND fuse and amperage returns to normal levels. Could this head unit also cause the amp not to go into sleep mode?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts