NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
01 November 2005
2006 JETTA AND TOUAREG NAMED “BEST BUYS” BY CONSUMERS DIGEST MAGAZINE

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — The 2006 Volkswagen Jetta and Touareg have been recognized as “Best Buys” by Consumers Digest. Consumers Digest gives the honor to products that offer outstanding value for their price.

The 2006 Jetta is fresh off its complete redesign launched earlier this year. For 2006, the Jetta lineup includes an all-new GLI version as well as a sophisticated TDI® diesel option and a 200-horsepower optional engine choice. The Jetta is the number one selling European nameplate in the U.S. with more than 2.2 million units sold in the U.S. and Canada since 1980.

The Touareg remains unique in the market as a premium-entry SUV with vaunted German engineering and driving dynamics, off-road superiority and Volkswagen value for money. For 2006, the Touareg offers an upgraded navigation system and luxury features, including an all-new, more powerful base engine later in the year.

“This is an honor for Volkswagen,” said Adrian Hallmark, executive vice president, Volkswagen of America. “The Jetta is one of our most popular models, representing 40 percent of our North American sales. The poised, sophisticated Touareg brings balance to the often rough SUV segment.”

“We’re pleased that Consumers Digest noted these two vehicles for their exceptional value,” he added.

The Consumers Digest “Best Buy” rating is awarded to fewer than three percent of the competing models in any given product category, according to the publication.

About Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan and is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. Volkswagen of America and its affiliates employ approximately 3,000 people in the United States and are responsible for the sale and service of Audi, Bentley, and Volkswagen products through a retail network of more than 900 independent U.S. dealers.

source: Volkswagen of America press release

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Quite frankly I'm shocked. I consider both models to be overpriced. I guess I might look a little closer. :)

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised as well. I do think the new Jetta looks great and comes with some really nice features. And if you take into account that it really changed classes (subcompact to near mid-sized), then it's probably still a good value.

The Touareg, however, really shocks me. I'm not sure what they mean by "premium-entry" SUV. Is that supposed to mean that it's an entry level SUV in the premium market? I'd say it's more like a full fledged premium SUV.

Plus, with it's less than stellar quality, I'm not sure I'd want to pick that as a "Best Buy".

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps by "premium-entry SUV" they're saying something like "cheapest luxury SUVs in a brand's luxury SUV lineup".

As for price, it's still a lot of bang for your buck in that class, however one decides to name it.

Let's see the base prices for so-called "premium-entry SUVs"

Lexus RX330: $36,370
Infiniti FX35: $36,500*
BMW X3: $36,800
Acura MDX: $37,125
VW Touareg: $37,320
Mercedes ML: $39,750

*Infiniti FX35 is just a quick inflation-adjusted estimate from the 2005 price, since the 2006 price isn't listed yet.

The Touareg's base-price is within $1000 of the cheapest base-price model in the category, but except for the Mercedes ML-Class, the other SUVs in this category are more small, luxury "cute utes" than full-blooded SUVs. In other words, for the price, the Touareg is more on-par with larger, more capable SUVs like the BMW X5, and the only reason it's even in the this entry category is because Volkswagen's below-the-Touareg entry hasn't hit market yet.

That said, I agree that it's a best buy for the segment.

The Jetta, well, it's up against some stiff competition, so I'm not sure how well the "bang for your buck" numbers would stack up, but it certainly does offer a more substantial luxury feel and feature set than most cars with sub-$20,000 entrance price, despite it's cheeky German Corolla looks. I think the new Civic could hurt the Jetta, if it weren't for it's Saturn Ion-meets-Toyota Prius shape and styling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts