NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I am currently having some issues with my 2006 New Beetle, and hope I can find some help here.
Beetle is Automatic 2.5L
Just over 100,000 miles

Ill give the low down on the car first...(maybe this will help)
Went to VW dealer not too long ago and was told the lower control arm bushings were torn and the left outer cv boot needed to soon be replaced. I purchased new bushings and had those replaced, and was waiting to have cv boot replaced later once I saved up some more funds. Dealer said that was fine, it was not a huge issue but said needed to be fixed soon.

Then the sad part happened..
Yesterday I am driving and noticed a noise so I turned A/C off to listen. Heard almost like a quiet hissing noise. About 2 blocks after I hear noise I come to a stop sign. I stopped, and when I went to take off the car rev'ed but did not move forward, and just kind of rolled back a little. After letting all the angry drivers pass I put the car in reverse and let it roll back slowly and parked. I turned car off and back on, and it sounded fine. I attempted to drive forward and same thing happened. Car rev'ed and did not move. While making a call for help I left the car off. I was told to try turning the car on again to describe what was happening, and the car took off with no problem. It was like nothing had even happened. So I proceeded to slowly let the car move forward without pressing on the gas because I was scared the same thing would happen. Then the same thing happened. Car stopped moving forward. :(

I read a couple of threads to check transmission fluid. Checked and everything is fine. Now I am reading threads that say it could possibly be something to do with the axle or cv boots. Just hoping it is not the transmission, and wondering why the car would work fine every little while.

Also have another question. Car is completely jacked up on stands, and this may be a dumb question. Should the tires rotate when car is jacked up and in park? All the tires rotate freely.

I am just hoping someone might have some insight or can help. Anything really helps! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Most all of the automatics have "snap in" front axles rather than "bolt on" front axles.

My guess is one of the front axles has "popped" out of the transfer case enough to not engage the splines. This likely happened when the front bushings were replaced. Who replace the front bushings and how long ago was this done? I am guessing not long??

It is hard to guess what side may be the problem. Passenger side it easier to see and has the longer axle so this may be the problem axle. You need to get up under and check both sides. As I recall the space from the transaxle housing to the inner CV joint housing should be very close, something like 3/8". If the axle popped out, you will enough to disengage the splines, it will be close to 1" or maybe more between the housing and CV joint.

You need to rotate the CV joint slightly to engage the splines, then push the CV joint in toward the transaxle and the last 1/4" to 1/2" will be tough, but it should "SNAP" into place when it is finally seated.

This is not the first time I have heard of this problem, only the automatics have snap in axles, the manual trans cars have axles that have bolt on flanges at the transaxle.

This is what the axle should look like - https://www.google.com/search?q=new+beetle+automatic+front+axle&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=628&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIhK_Rn-rzxwIVAdkeCh2WnQHP#imgrc=tkYi47FaEAo09M:

This is the end that goes into the transaxle - https://www.google.com/search?q=new+beetle+automatic+front+axle&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=628&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIhK_Rn-rzxwIVAdkeCh2WnQHP#imgrc=9za_SuJ8NpmdmM:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts