NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Go Sox!
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I ordered a 2006 NB that is coming in November. It has package 1, but no satellite radio on the options. The dealer said that most new VW's have either Sirius or XM, but this one has neither. Now when I go to the 2006 NB specs, it says that the audio unit comes "satellite radio prepped." Since the satellite radio was not a factory-installed option, does anyone know if the dealer can put XM in the same way they would do at the factory?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tom,

I think its a totally different radio though maybe all the cars come prepped as far as antennae? I know my radio which has Sirius has a buttons on it for satellite, categories, etc. on it which is why I think they might have different units.

TDI4ever

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sirius prepped means that the back of the radio can accept a VW Sirius kit that will simply plug into it. It should be a fairly easy install.

I don't think VW ever had an XM option - if they did, it was a very short time. I have an 06 with Sirius and love it. The only visual clue is a small circular node that sits on the top of the center of the dash. It's very easy to program stations, and the info button shows the singer and name of the song when pressed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My bad - a quick look on the web makes it appear that XM was a choice from 2004-2006. I bought mine in late 2006, and by then there was no choice listed in the brochure for XM, nor was it installed on any of the NBCs that my dealer had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts