VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual, this car is kicking my butt...

My wife's '06 NBC has had intermittent A/C issues for a while now. The compressor disengages most times when the car is stopped, but blows ice cold when driving. When the compressor is engaged, the sytem pressures are normal, and it blows cold. The compressor is disengaging at slow speeds.

The cooling fan doesn't come on at all with the engine off, key on, and AC/fan switches on. All the fuses/fusable links are good, with solid 13 volts on both sides of them, The fuse block is not melted, top or bottom, and all the wires appear to be in good condition.

I've got the DVD Bentley manual (worst factory service manual I've ever used, and I've used a lot of them) and an Auto Enginuity scanner setup.

It's not throwing any (related) codes, and the diagnostic procedures in the Bentley do not appear to be the correct ones for this car. It even has a diagram showing the F18 switch for the 2.5L NBC on the lower left part of the radiator, which is definitely not on my car.

Every fan related procedure I've found online shows 2 fans, a fan controller module under the battery and a thermo switch (F18) in the radiator.

This car has no F18 thermo switch, no FCM under the battery and one fan. There appears to be a fan control module mounted to the shroud, right next to the fan motor. The Bentley manual has a diagram showing my setup, but the tech procedures are clearly for the 2 fan setup.

I also cannot find the same type of fan control module, or even a single fan assembly with an integrated controller for this car online, no matter what search terms I use. Every search comes up with a dual fan setup or the under battery type FCM.

Can anyone shed any light or point me in the right troubleshooting direction?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
A/C problem

Hey sorry to hear you are having such bad luck with this beetle. Here are my two cents on this; When the engine's temperature get's above average for normal operating temperature it shots down the A/C system and the fan should come on via the thermal switch mounted on the driver side lower part of the radiator or via the coolant temperature switch. I would monitor the coolant temperature to see what is going on there while this A/C system is shutting down. That could be why when you are going fast air go's through radiator cooling the system and A/c works, slow speed A/C won't work cuase the coolant or engine is running a little too hot. Your thermostat could be failing or your water pump impeller could be slipping. Hope this helps out. Don't mean to sound rude, but did anybody mix the wrong coolant in the system here lately? if so.....BINGO! That is the fan control module mounted on the shroud, kinda below the battery area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey sorry to hear you are having such bad luck with this beetle. Here are my two cents on this; When the engine's temperature get's above average for normal operating temperature it shots down the A/C system and the fan should come on via the thermal switch mounted on the driver side lower part of the radiator or via the coolant temperature switch. I would monitor the coolant temperature to see what is going on there while this A/C system is shutting down. That could be why when you are going fast air go's through radiator cooling the system and A/c works, slow speed A/C won't work cuase the coolant or engine is running a little too hot. Your thermostat could be failing or your water pump impeller could be slipping. Hope this helps out. Don't mean to sound rude, but did anybody mix the wrong coolant in the system here lately? if so.....BINGO! That is the fan control module mounted on the shroud, kinda below the battery area.
The engine is running at normal temps.

FWIW, There is no coolant temp sensor on the lower left part of the radiator on this car, as shown in every one of the cooling fan tutorials I can find. Even the Bentley manual is flat out wrong on just about anything to do with this issue (describing procedures and parts that this car doesn't have.... EG: the fan control module under the battery, coolant temp sensor in the rad etc. ).

None of the test procedures for the fans apply to this thing. I'm assuming that there was a mid year change or something in '06 and my expensive, yet almost worthless Bentley manual is not up to date on it.

It's still not throwing any kind of codes (well, for this issue anyway). I'm assuming that the fan controller or fan itself is bad and it is, for some reason not working in low speed. The fan does come on in high.

It's an integrated setup, so I think I have to get the fan and controller together anyway.

The A/C will not come on, ever, (even from a cold start) unless the car is moving (and then not always). As soon as the car stops at a light, it shuts off.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yah, your 2.5 doesn't have a two fan configuration, and the Bentley is like getting punched in the balls every time you try to find something that isn't obvious.

One thing I'd suggest to help find information is when looking up information, although it won't be entirely accurate to the New Beetle, the Jetta also uses the same 2.5L engine.

Based on some information I found, it sounds like your sensor is located on the lower radiator hose not on the actual radiator as with the 2.0L and 1.9L TDI engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, your 2.5 doesn't have a two fan configuration, and the Bentley is like getting punched in the balls every time you try to find something that isn't obvious.

One thing I'd suggest to help find information is when looking up information, although it won't be entirely accurate to the New Beetle, the Jetta also uses the same 2.5L engine.

Based on some information I found, it sounds like your sensor is located on the lower radiator hose not on the actual radiator as with the 2.0L and 1.9L TDI engines.
I'll crawl under there tomorrow and see if there's anything on the lower hose (it's pouring rain here right now). I've been checking the various parts supply sites, and there's not much info on this setup.

The Bentley is pretty disappointing/frustrating. I've always bought the factory repair manuals for my cars since I got my first car in '82. I've got a shelf full of 'em, and the Bentley is almost useless in comparison. I would' ve been as well off with a Haynes or Chiltons for a fraction of the cost.

FWIW, I've been repairing my own cars for 30+ years, and this one is by far the most frustrating on many levels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I ordered a new fan assembly and coolant sensor switch. Well, it ISN'T the fan or the controller. I plugged the new assembly into the harness before giving myself an aneurism trying to get the 4 bolts out to remove the fan shroud, and no go.

So it must be the switch, right? Well, it may be, but, after almost an hour doing nothing but poking around (not counting the 20 minutes it takes to remove the (%&#^%^@ing skid plate), I'll be damned if I can find anything like the switch I received anywhere in the engine compartment. I followed all the hoses as far as I could (without removing the intake) and nada. Not on either radiator hose, the radiator, anywhere on the intake manifold or anywhere else I can see sans removing the engine from the car.

Anyone have an idea where this switch is located on a convertible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
From the bentley manual

View attachment 95977
I've got the Bentley. Thanks, but if it was there, I would've been able to test it months ago. Unfortunately, it's not there or anywhere else under the hood that I can find in several hours of poking around. The only place I can't really see is the area directly under the intake manifold (it looks like the lower radiator hose disappears up there somewhere), above the oil filter housing. If it's up there, then my wife's gonna live with intermittent AC until we get rid of it.

The only sensor even remotely connected to the cooling system that I've found is the 4 prong coolant temp sensor in the upper radiator hose. I haven't found any documentation that says this thing has anything to do with whether or not it controls the fans. It's not throwing any codes related to the cooling system, just a fuel trim issue and something to do with the window regulator being out of synch. I'll fix the latter next time I replace the motor/module, which I'm sure won't be long. At this point, I don't care about the fuel trim, as the car runs fine.....

I really can't wait to dump this car....... I am not relishing my first ever out of warranty dealership experience, especially with our local dealer.....

·
2008 2.5L convertible
6 Posts
You are not alone...

TRipower455.. you are not alone!! All the manuals and on-line forums somehow do not recognize this change VW made to get away from that very overheating problem.
I have a 2008 VW beetle convertible with similar AC/cooling issues. fault Code P0480 - Coolant Fan Control Circuit 1: Electrical Malfunction keeps triggering and the idiot overtemp light kicks in and flashes in heavy traffic.
P0480 CODE Causes:
Fuse(s) faulty --checked 3 X even replaced
Coolant Fan Control Module (J293) faulty -Suspect it isIntegrated into fan assembly Might need replaced
Coolant Fan 2 (V177) restricted/jammed -It is a two speed SINGLE fan..
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Coolant Fan Control Module (J293) faulty -Checked OK
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Coolant Fan 2 (V177) faulty -Checked OKAY

The single coolant fan kicks in for about 3-5 secs appears to pick up speed then kicks out. it does this repeatedly when the engine temp gets hot or Immediately when i turn on the AC... The AC blows warm air. I checked the charge it's good.. . and when the compressor kicks in you see the R134 pressure drop back into the Green range on my diagnostic gage. It has the single fan assembly with NO Fan control Module and NO radiator mounted coolant temp switch. there is only one temp switch mounted in the top hose right before it enters the engine. I REPLACED THAT temp SWITCH ...& have triple checked the fusible links and fuses above the battery and removed and re-seated Relay #11 under the Driverside panel...NO DIFFERENCE
I would hate to have to replace the $500+ single fan Module with an intergrated electronic box only to find out it was something simple that I missed. Any and all help is welcomed.....and please.. IT HAS A SINGLE FAN with integrated FCM

·
1,255 Posts
I believe the Bentley Manual assumes that one has already attended a VW service school. Wait till you have to work with the electrical diagrams.

·
2008 2.5L convertible
6 Posts
TRipower455.. you are not alone!! All the manuals and on-line forums somehow do not recognize this change VW made to get away from that very overheating problem.
I have a 2008 VW beetle convertible with similar AC/cooling issues. fault Code P0480 - Coolant Fan Control Circuit 1: Electrical Malfunction keeps triggering and the idiot overtemp light kicks in and flashes in heavy traffic.
P0480 CODE Causes:
Fuse(s) faulty --checked 3 X even replaced
Coolant Fan Control Module (J293) faulty -Suspect it isIntegrated into fan assembly Might need replaced
Coolant Fan 2 (V177) restricted/jammed -It is a two speed SINGLE fan..
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Coolant Fan Control Module (J293) faulty -Checked OK
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Coolant Fan 2 (V177) faulty -Checked OKAY

The single coolant fan kicks in for about 3-5 secs appears to pick up speed then kicks out. it does this repeatedly when the engine temp gets hot or Immediately when i turn on the AC... The AC blows warm air. I checked the charge it's good.. . and when the compressor kicks in you see the R134 pressure drop back into the Green range on my diagnostic gage. It has the single fan assembly with NO Fan control Module and NO radiator mounted coolant temp switch. there is only one temp switch mounted in the top hose right before it enters the engine. I REPLACED THAT temp SWITCH ...& have triple checked the fusible links and fuses above the battery and removed and re-seated Relay #11 under the Driverside panel...NO DIFFERENCE
I would hate to have to replace the $500+ single fan Module with an intergrated electronic box only to find out it was something simple that I missed. Any and all help is welcomed.....and please.. IT HAS A SINGLE FAN with integrated FCM
Tripower455 or any any Beetle experts...any luck finding a solution to our unique problem single fan problem?? I am about ready to throw in the towel and take it in to the stealership... I flushed and filled the G-12 Coolant squeezed all the hoses to make sure there was no blockage ...topped off Reservoir.... checked water pump operation at both idle and revving...that fixed idiot red light flashing but still trips the same P0480 code and then triggers check Engine light after a driving it some more.. then the tranny starts shifting VERY hard when kicking/shifting down at a light....

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've got the DVD Bentley manual (worst factory service manual I've ever used, and I've used a lot of them)
Are you still using the Bentley where you have to have the DVD in the computer??

If so, you should get the direct download and you will not need to use the DVD in the machine. Much easier to use.

You may have a few issues that you will have to work through, but I think Bentley knows that this is a really PITA electronic manual now and will work with you without charging you.

I had it working on this machine, something happened and it does not work anymore, so I likely have to reload it again.

It is a real PITA to actually get working, but once working the electronic manual without the DVD is MUCH better.

·
2008 2.5L convertible
6 Posts
Tripower455 or any any Beetle experts...any luck finding a solution to our unique problem single fan problem?? I am about ready to throw in the towel and take it in to the stealership... I flushed and filled the G-12 Coolant squeezed all the hoses to make sure there was no blockage ...topped off Reservoir.... checked water pump operation at both idle and revving...that fixed idiot red light flashing but still trips the same P0480 code and then triggers check Engine light after a driving it some more.. then the tranny starts shifting VERY hard when kicking/shifting down at a light....
Problem FIXED For those of you with the single fan/Module setup '06-'13). the Fan is a variable speed fan an integrated control module that controls everything.
There is ONLY ONE Temperature sensor for that design and it is located in the top coolant hose with a clip. (easy access) there is NO radiator mounted temperature switch NOR Fan Control module located under the battery or anywhere else for that matter Regardless of what Bentley, Dealer, expert or any Parts store tells ya by VIN number. It's simply a scam to sell ya electronic parts ya can't return.
I bought my fan Assembly OE Part #: 1C0959455F for about $480 brand new next day delivery on ebay Volkswagen, Audi items in EuroPartsLLC store on eBay! .... they had the lowest price of $480 Actual OEM part by Brose... the rest were $600 to $900 depending on "stealership".. it was a PITA to install without removing the entire front end but well worth it. the repair shop wanted to charge $1400 so i did it myself. Problem solved.. no over heating tranny shifts much smoother and now AC blows mighty cold.
Best of luck.
Ohh and whatever you do DO not Buy the fan assembly from PartsHaus.com They are shady as ****. they list the wrong/lowest price and after you order they cancel your order 3 days later and expect you to pay the new high price. they caused me a 4 day delay/downtime. Never Again.

·
2008 2.5L convertible
6 Posts
Have I missed what was the actual repair or part failure?
hahahah Duffy...apparently you are one of those types who don't like to read long paragraphs...lol
IT WAS THE INTEGRATED FAN CONTROL MODULE. on the newer beetles this module is part of the fan assembly that's why it costs so much. Replace it.. ya done.
Picture attached for convenience.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102969&stc=1&d=1375992255[/IMG]

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been wrestling with my daughter's 2008 Convertible for a few years now. Her trunk wouldn't open.. A wire at the connector in the trunk had broken. Next her airbag light came on ... a wire had come off in the seatbelt receiver. Then a wire broke off a sensor under the manifold causing a CEL.. It seems to me that the wiring on this car is compromised! I now have the Single fan not running issue, causing the a/c compressor not running and probably overheating soon. Before I spend another $500+ on a new fan, Does anyone have an actual wiring diagram of this new design??? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's just another wire broken.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Problem FIXED For those of you with the single fan/Module setup '06-'13). the Fan is a variable speed fan an integrated control module that controls everything.
There is ONLY ONE Temperature sensor for that design and it is located in the top coolant hose with a clip. (easy access) there is NO radiator mounted temperature switch NOR Fan Control module located under the battery or anywhere else for that matter Regardless of what Bentley, Dealer, expert or any Parts store tells ya by VIN number. It's simply a scam to sell ya electronic parts ya can't return.
I bought my fan Assembly OE Part #: 1C0959455F for about $480 brand new next day delivery on ebay Volkswagen, Audi items in EuroPartsLLC store on eBay! .... they had the lowest price of $480 Actual OEM part by Brose... the rest were $600 to $900 depending on "stealership".. it was a PITA to install without removing the entire front end but well worth it. the repair shop wanted to charge $1400 so i did it myself. Problem solved.. no over heating tranny shifts much smoother and now AC blows mighty cold.
Best of luck.
Ohh and whatever you do DO not Buy the fan assembly from PartsHaus.com They are shady as ****. they list the wrong/lowest price and after you order they cancel your order 3 days later and expect you to pay the new high price. they caused me a 4 day delay/downtime. Never Again.
Blue-Beetle,
You mentioned it was a PITA to install without removing the entire front end! How on earth were you able to remove those obscured torx screws?? Let alone reinstalling them! I ordered a new fan this morning, Any tips?
Best regards,
Z

·
Registered
16 Posts
Huge THANK YOU to Kaye at Blue_Beetle! Replacing that fan cured all of my problems.. At $500 clams and a major PITA to replace, It still beats taking it to the stealership and getting raped! Those of you who attempt this fix, get your hands on a long 1/4" ratchet (Harbor Freight has one with a 1/4" and a 1/2" drive on either end for $29) Get the shallowest 1/4" socket and a #30 torx. Cut the back end of the torx so the actual bit only sticks out. You'll only have about 1.5" to work from the top and you should drain the oil and remove the oil filter carrier. It's still tedious, but if you're tenacious you should be able to access all eight screws. It took me about six hours to remove and another two to install the new one. I also got my new fan from Europarts on Ebay though their price has gone up a bit. Try doing the best offer on their site. They have been known to give discounts. Good Luck,
Zeebo

1 - 20 of 42 Posts