VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
ZEEBO, for future reference; what was the quality of the Brose brand fan and where did it say on the part, that it was made? What brand was the original fan? Did the Brose seem OEM quality and a good unit, compared to the stock fan? Hopefully, this info; can be useful to the next member that needs to replace their fan. Thanks! :)

·
volks r cool
280 Posts
Re:cooling fans

I just had my fan replaced( and module) at the GOOD stealership I use here in san jose ca....I have a gauge pod and was running kinda hot to me this summer so far...never over 200.....the dealer did say the fans were not working correctly...all goofy the module wasa all f....up...They replaced the fan(plural) and mod...asa unit and all is good finalluy...might have been doing this 4 a long time....thank god for my pod set up & gauges...cost a whopping 1400.00 ...but I bought the extenede warranty......only cost me C.NOT....THNK U.....

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
Which VW dealer; in San Jose are you using; Stevens Creek VW or Capitol Expressway (Auto Mall) VW? I've been to both; wasn't impressed with Capitol (sloppy work) and Stevens Creek didn't diagnose my problem, correctly (alternator clutch pulley bad; young tech was clueless). The Capitol VW was kinda cool looking @ the Auto Mall... though! :cool: Ever been to any tuning shops in the bay area; like 034 Motorsports or anywhere else? I used to go by Bugformance & Peninsula Automotive in my air cooled days...

·
volks r cool
280 Posts
Re: coolant fans

I had the same problem just recently with the fans supposedly not working...I pretty sure this has been happening for a long time...I have the pod/guage set up in my 08 bug vert.
I have seen the gauge many times get up there pretty good but nothing to be alarmed about .Recently I went up to sacramento this summer and was pretty toasty...98 degrees..I had the top down down so need for air cond...by the way when it seem to get hot before top up I would turn on air cond ...fans worked all was good.
when I got up to sac aand parked the temp climbed to 220 degress and I got worried...no idiot lights came on by the way.
When I got home I contiplated taking it in then decided not to.. then finally called my local stealership( ands it fairly good one).and took the hot bug in.They called me the next day and said the fans wernt working correctly...all goofy..
They said a rep from VW had to look at this to verify this place wasn't messin up I guess...it was there for a week and they called and it was done and going to be 1400.00$ for the fanassembly() 1 only)and the new module( the so called black box/module was a big problem according to VW...When they told me tht much for a fan assembly the size of clipboard I went in to a cardiac arrest...the paramedics almost had to be called!.
anyways...it only cost me a 1 C note ...because I had the xtended warranty thru VW ...thnk u jesus!...I paid a good junk for the warranty ...$ well spent....sorry for the long story.but facts r important....

·
volks r cool
280 Posts
Re fans

hey billymade...u know the area...I bought the vert red bug from capitol volks.They have seemed pretty fair and done ok work.
They screwed up a few times on a few things but nothing serious and allways nmade it right.nothing ever cost me a dime.

·
volks r cool
280 Posts
RE:fans

billymade....I have also used peninsula auto.tht only works on vw and the like....good shop...just took my bug in for a trans flush/change...allways fair and a lot cheaper the dealership....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Reviving this old thread because this appears to be my exact problem. I just spent an hour looking for the thermal switch shown in my manual, and of course, it's not there. I have the single fan with integrated controller. 2008 SE.

Before I go through the trouble and cost to replace this fan, can anyone provide an accurate wiring diagram or description of the control logic? The compressor doesn't engage even when the engine is cold - I would've thought it would engage until the coolant overheated due to lack of fan cooling, but maybe the computer prevents the compressor running if it senses the fan isn't running?

Best I can tell the controller has just 8 wires in/ out - four that go to the fan motor and four that go to a connector. At the connector are two large wires (power I'm guessing) and two very thin wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2006 New Beetle Convertible with Single Fan

I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to test the single fan found on a 2006 NBC?

My fan turns by hand and will run when the car is running but doesn't seem to move much air.

On a hot day >90 degrees if my wife is driving the AC works great.
If she stops at a light for more than 30-60 seconds, often she will hear a DING sound and the AC quits working.
No lights on dash and no codes via ODBII.

I know the single fan is a multi speed but ours only seems to go one fairly slow speed.
I've tried the test with ignition on but not started, blower on any speed and AC button on.
The fan never turns on in this condition.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
The battery is charged and I have a power supply hooked up to make sure I had 13v.
The AC is charged and I checked with gauges.

I'll try an ODBII reader that might give me the temp and see what that does.

Any idea if there is an engine off test that at least tests the low speed operation of the fan?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it's properly charged, it sounds like a fan problem or pressure sensor problem. The fan goes to high when the refrigerant pressure reaches a certain pressure (not sure what that is).

Not sure it will help, but in my last post in this thread I detailed the things I learned about the single fan system since there's so little info out there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The battery is charged and I have a power supply hooked up to make sure I had 13v.
The AC is charged and I checked with gauges.

I'll try an ODBII reader that might give me the temp and see what that does.

Any idea if there is an engine off test that at least tests the low speed operation of the fan?

Thanks for the help.

Greg
Assuming you responded to the post I just deleted. I deleted it because I made a mistake regarding the coolant - 99C turns the fan on low speed, not on high.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And the other thread you posted.

I'll try to get the coolant to 99C and see if the fan will run on slow.

Any idea what temp makes it run high speed?

The fan never really halls and blows hard. What should it sound like and feel like??

Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
113 Posts
I didn't buy a fan - my problem was a broken ground wire at a connector.

No idea about the ding.

Do you have a pressure switch (4-pin connector) or pressure sensor (3-pin)? Do you have a clutch, or the clutchless compressor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like the fan runs when the coolant temp is 100 degrees F or higher.
If the coolant is over 100 and the AC is running it goes to high speed.

The fan seems to running at two speeds.

I let it sit in 98 degree air and run until it was at full temp and I seem to have some sort of coolant leak.

No I'm not sure what I'm up against....

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I ordered a new fan assembly and coolant sensor switch. Well, it ISN'T the fan or the controller. I plugged the new assembly into the harness before giving myself an aneurism trying to get the 4 bolts out to remove the fan shroud, and no go.

So it must be the switch, right? Well, it may be, but, after almost an hour doing nothing but poking around (not counting the 20 minutes it takes to remove the (%&#^%^@ing skid plate), I'll be damned if I can find anything like the switch I received anywhere in the engine compartment. I followed all the hoses as far as I could (without removing the intake) and nada. Not on either radiator hose, the radiator, anywhere on the intake manifold or anywhere else I can see sans removing the engine from the car.

Anyone have an idea where this switch is located on a convertible?
Don't feel bad I have the same setup mine is a hardtop the coolant sensor on mine is on the upper radiator hose just below the air intake filter box.i replaced the fan an module which is mounted on the fan shroud and I had to take the whole front clip off lol but I'm still not getting any fan response I'm getting 12 volts to the fan connection but that's all I can tell I find no relay panel like they say it's supposed to have just the small circuit panel on top of the battery which also has the fan thermal fuse on it so I'm in the same boat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't feel bad I have the same setup mine is a hardtop the coolant sensor on mine is on the upper radiator hose just below the air intake filter box.i replaced the fan an module which is mounted on the fan shroud and I had to take the whole front clip off lol but I'm still not getting any fan response I'm getting 12 volts to the fan connection but that's all I can tell I find no relay panel like they say it's supposed to have just the small circuit panel on top of the battery which also has the fan thermal fuse on it so I'm in the same boat
Can a yo help?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts