VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a complete set of interior panels for my 2006 NB convertible. Preferably black, but I will consider other color combinations. Hardware is not required, but I will consider all options with or without these items.

· Registered
67 Posts
It seems that NB’s are notorious for panel issues. I’ve seen some on eBay but you probably inherit the same issues when buying there. The option I have been recently considering is getting an Apolostry co to build them out from the door frame for me. All of the none metal parts just deteriorate if reused.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, and I agree, NB's have considerable panel issues. I've considered the upholstery route, I'm just not confident they could replicate the rigid panels correctly. Apparently, there is a person out of Puerto Rico who makes full, one piece panels out of fiberglass. This may be an option if quality used panels are not available. In my case, the upper, rigid, colorized panel parts are very brittle, and fracture at the slightest touch. The lower part of the panels are more forgiving, but are also easily damaged (broken handles, damaged inserts, mounting points). The actual doors and frame are fine, the entire interior is fragile.

· Registered
19,232 Posts
What is wrong with your originals? They can be repaired and vw still sells the top cap; which can be replaced, painted to match the originals.

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
19,232 Posts
Cost effectiveness, is always a issue; that is why, i ended up repairing mine; because of this. they turned out well; one has to decide, what is the best way to go.

I ended up buying used broken door panels at a local, pick/pull and was able to cannibalize good used parts, ending up with two good panels out of all the four broken ones.

If you have photos, of the panel damage; post them up, for us to see. Plastic panel repairs are possible or replacing bad parts with new or good used, is a viable solution.

· Registered
67 Posts
Cost effectiveness, is always a issue; that is why, i ended up repairing mine; because of this. they turned out well; one has to decide, what is the best way to go.

I ended up buying used broken door panels at a local, pick/pull and was able to cannibalize good used parts, ending up with two good panels out of all the four broken ones.

If you have photos, of the panel damage; post them up, for us to see. Plastic panel repairs are possible or replacing bad parts with new or good used, is a viable solution.

Would you post a picture of you repaired panels? I’d like to see what’s possible. My driver side panel is pretty embarrassing. I have a makeshift card board insert under the fabric until I can get it to a upholstery shop. It’s pretty sad. Passenger is still in ok shape. The electronics in the driver door are not the greatest either. Door locks don’t work from the inside and the window regulator requires prompting to work. I know it sounds like I’m gripping but I’m really not. It’s just quirks I’ve gotten used to dealing with on a car I really love.

· Registered
19,232 Posts
They just look like normal panels; as noted, i just swapped parts until i came out with a good panel. I also, used the metal MotorKing cast metal handles; to address the cracked, broken plastic handle. I added coat hanger, epoxied and then installed, the metal handles on top of everything and tightened everything together with the mounting screws. The results were rock solid and it is a permanent fix.

As noted and shown in the video; using plastic epoxy, can repair broken plastics. On some of the damaged door panel clip mounts; i fabricated sheet metal mounts to reinforces these failed areas and restored the clips mounts, to secure the panel as stock, securing them with epoxy, rivets.

Post your panels, highlighting the damage and we can discuss repair strategies and possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.