NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:My wife's 2006 NBC is acting up. It has 50K miles.

Recently it has started surging while driving. Going down the highway at 70mph, it will suddenly slow down then surge or chug back and forth a few times and then return to 70mph only to repeat this a minute or two later. It has done it while driving it at in town speeds as well. We have not noticed a problem during short around the town trips, It only occurs(so far) after the car has been operated for more than 30 minutes.

I have read about the MAF sensor cleaning or replacement and possibly the issue being the spark plugs. There was also a post mentioning that the fuel filter might be the culprit. I have to find the special torx bits to remove the MAF sensor to clean it.

Our closest VW dealer is 100 miles from us and I am reluctant to make that trip if the car is going to act up.

We purchased it used with 38K and during the purchase, I asked the dealership about maintenance They told me it had received a "complete" service.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was your solution?

Any and all suggestions, tips, etc would be extremely welcome.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I am guessing it a automatic trans. I would start there. can you get to a autozone and get it scanned? Thats where I would start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an automatic. You are suggesting this could be a transmission issue?:(

We have an autozone locally.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The autos in these cars can be finicky. Get it scanned, then post up what ya find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clerk at Autozone would not scan because they said nothing would show up without a check engine light on.
Testing it on the highway it is still surging, although now I can feel and see the rpms dropping then the cruise catches it and it accelerates to the set speed. I tried it without cruise and it does the same exact thing.
Called VW service while I was testing it and they said it sounded like a fuel pump.

I hesitate to take it to any stealership due to the cost and the lack of a check engine light.

Help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, everytime I log into this forum, something else occurs to me. We just received the recall notice for the fuel line issue. I found the link to the vw website that let me check on other recalls. According to them, the "ignition coil" recall was never performed.

My question is: Would ignition coils failing cause the intermittent loss of power we are experiencing when on the highway? Yesterday, we had to stop a half hour short from home and leave the car at a friends house overnight, because it kept cutting in and out every 30-45 seconds while driving down the highway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recently, I purchased a 2006 NB 5 speed, and sequentially, every coil failed.....well, by the 3rd coil failure, the dealer agreed to replace the remaining two. With coil failure, you'd definitely get a check engine light (MIL), showing a cylinder misfire (P0301 through P0305). Having had 3 coils fail, I can tell you that once they do, the car will run like a three legged mule, and won't recover until the coil is replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, more things that this d#$n beetle is doing. The warning chimes for the headlights being on and the key in the ignition with the door open do NOT go off. Still no CEL light coming on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While I'm not even close to being as familiar with the NB as most on the site, I've been turning wrench for over 20 years, and I write automotive repair advice columns for Honda, so I'll go out on a limb here and apply what I know that is universal to any OBDII system.

If the fault lied within the MAF sensor or spark plugs, you'd definitely be getting a CEL. Without question. Therefore, we can eliminate any electronic sensor on the engine, including anything that has to do with the vehicle's fuel mixture calibration, or anything within the engine electrical (such as spark plugs, coils, etc, which also would illuminate the CEL).

That said, we're left with two potential issues. First is an intermittent ground fault. Since the warning chimes are coming on and won't go off, that's an excellent indicator of where (at least one of) the issues lie. Get an electrical schematic on the vehicle, and follow the ground junction for the chimes, and you'll have found at least part of it. The chimes will usually have constant power and operate off a switched ground, meaning that something could be dead shorting either due to water ingress, or a wire that is cold shorting through a firewall passage.

The second potential here is a failure of a multiplex control unit or body processor. I'm not certain if the Beetle even has one, to be honest, but the issues have to be able to be traced to a common area, and that is another place to begin.

All of this is, of course, tossed out the window if you have either an aftermarket security system or an auto start. If you do, start there.

Again I apologize if any of the information that I've typed out here isn't helpful, however I've seen more of these type of intermittent issues than I care to remember :) and they seem to have commonality across car lines. YMMV :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input. The chimes for the headlights and ignition key are NOT going off, however. But I am going to trace lines and see what I can find.
I do worry that we may have an expensive electrical component on the way to failure.
Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has a 2006 NBC and it is doing the loss of power thing also. I am going to have the coil packs replaced under the recall next week. Did you ever find a solution to the power loss? It is a very frustrating problem!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It is an automatic. You are suggesting this could be a transmission issue?
I don't think it's a transmission issue.

My wife has a 2006 NBC and it is doing the loss of power thing also. I am going to have the coil packs replaced under the recall next week. Did you ever find a solution to the power loss? It is a very frustrating problem!
Like said, get it scanned and put up the codes so we can have a look. FYI, when you get the codes, look them up here, and have a read for yourself. Hopefully the SAE code reader the Corner Auto Parts will use will give you all the codes. You may have to find one that has equipment capable of reading stored codes, not just actice CEL codes. At least it's a start and it's free. Forget what the desrcipts are, read about each code here -
Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

I found the link to the vw website that let me check on other recalls. According to them, the "ignition coil" recall was never performed.
Where did you find a web resource to check on open recalls by VIN. A lot of us would like that resource!

MORAV

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have had the 06 NBC (2.5 6 speed tiptronic) for a year and have put 9,000 miles on it. The power loss problem started about 2 months ago and is intermittant. It did not show up for about 800 miles after the first incident and then on a long trip of 600 miles it started again in the last 300 miles of that trip. No problem since the trip. It does not happen in slow speed driving. No check engine lights.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yeah, got it, the OPer p/m'd me with it. Ran my '05... Clean. Need to check my '02 when I find the VIN (lol).

·
Registered
17 Posts
We took my Wife's 06 NBC in to the Dealer for a new Battery, of course the Dealership recommended more work, so $1500 later we got the Car back. This was 2 weeks ago, twice this week the Car has died and we have had it towed back to the Dealer.

They have changed the CPS (Crank position sensor) and checked all the codes, they are working on the Car again today so when the problem is finally fixed I will post what the problem was.

BTW, we bought Her Beetle new in 2006, it now has 47K miles on it and luckily I bought a Platinum extended warranty for $1400, so far, this Car has cost them over $2K.

I have spoken to other 2006 onwards Owners and they have all said they have been plagued with Electrical problems.

For those of you considering buying a used Beetle "Because they're cute" please be aware that they are NOT reliable, try and make sure you have a GOOD warranty.

My Wife's Beetle has been babied by Her and always Dealer serviced on time, so we have done our part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My fiance did buy the car because it's "cute", but also because I've done my share of work under the hoods of almost every European make. It ain't a Hyundai or a Chevy. It is what it is.

The bottom line with the Beetle is the same as any car of it's type, if you don't know a very skilled mechanic, you'd better BE a very skilled mechanic. Or rich :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts