NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ret.
839 Posts
Very good...I think even I might have a chance with that kind of help...
I'm assuming that, since it says +06, then that's what it means. I don't have any problems with headlights right now, but looking down the road, are factory HIDs changed the same way? What bulb? Are they pretty durable? Mine is an '04.
I hope so.

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,751 Posts
haha. i just did the grunt work and a bit of editing.. i've never even seen the engine compartment of an 06+ in person. :lol:

but to answer miffole's question... the headlight assembly on the earlier ones is different. I would imagine there's a writeup somewhere for them though

·
Keep on keepin on!
28 Posts
i had a poor attempt to describe this before but the pictures speak a thousand words.

Consider carefully about "upgrade" bulbs. Originally i purchased the Silverstar bulbs. Those lasted 4 months before they blew. I then tried some aftermarket Japanesse bulbs from Ebay in and the bulb glass melted and distorted.

I now have the Silverstar Ultras in and time will tell how long those last.

It is apparent that there is a large amount of heat build-up in the projector-style housing where the bulb goes, so be very careful when deciding to go with other lights other than OEM. I would advise to not go with any higher wattage than what the original bulb has.

·
Bugaholic
788 Posts
Thanks to all for this EXCELLENT guide for replacing headlamp bulbs. I bought a set of Sylvania Silver Star Ultras right after I bought my Beetle the other day. When I Opened the hood to see how to get at the bulbs I nearly passed out. I thought this was going to be really complicated. So came to this GREAT website and located this tutorial. Worked like a charm. However, a word of caution - don't do what I did and not get the 5mm latch re-secured. I thought I did but then had problems where the lights were intermittently coming on and off. The electrical connector apparently is VERY sensitive. While the headlight housing was pushed into the fender as far as it would go, there was just enough play in that electrical connector to make it unstable. That latch indirectly secures the electrical connection. So take care to get that latch fastened properly.

·
I Love Hippos.
305 Posts
This post is one the most helpful posts ever! Pictures and everything!

Personally I found the right side to be more difficult since you could barely see the aluminum lever below/behind the battery tray. Posting pictures of that would be most helpful for others.

I ended using an extension to press the lever down, another extension to pry the headlight out from behind, and my leg to keep the headlight from sliding all the way out... talk about a yoga exercise!

I would not have figured that out without this thread!

I'll post some pics as soon as I get my HIDs figured out.

·
Bugaholic
788 Posts
..... There doesn't seem to be a lever to pull down on (?)
It's there. It's just difficult to figure out what IS the lever amongst all the other surrounding parts. Here are some extra pictures that may help you find it.

A few tips: 1) Removing the battery cover on the left side REALLY helps to locate the 5mm screw and the lever. Use a 1/4" extension about 18 incehs long to press down the lever. Use a wooden stake to pry out the headlight housing while holding the lever down.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great "how-to"!!! The driver side low beam bulb went out on my 2006 the other day. When I opened the hood, I had no idea how to access the bulbs or remove the headlamp. I was resigned to taking the car to the dealer (with all the hassles that go with it) until I found this post. There is no way I could have ever figured out how to replace the bulb without this great "how to" post. This is what makes the web and this site great. Thanks!:)

Note: the 2006 takes the H7 bulbs for low/high beams.

·
I Love Hippos.
305 Posts
This post is one the most helpful posts ever! Pictures and everything!

Personally I found the right side to be more difficult since you could barely see the aluminum lever below/behind the battery tray. Posting pictures of that would be most helpful for others.

I ended using an extension to press the lever down, another extension to pry the headlight out from behind, and my leg to keep the headlight from sliding all the way out... talk about a yoga exercise!

I would not have figured that out without this thread!

I'll post some pics as soon as I get my HIDs figured out.
It is done... http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-other-rides/38260-nubz-got-lasik-surgery-56k-beware.html

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
Very thankful to have found this post today.

I'd changed bulbs in our '02 and thought I knew how...but deep in the memory I thought I'd read that something was different on the '06.

Sure is. I'd have never figured it out.

FWIW, on the diesel, you can get your hand in by the fuel filter to hold down the sheet metal 'lever'. No tool needed.

Quite a shock at how expensive these bulbs are, though. I didn't have time to shop and paid ~$16 for one.

I think I like the '02 arrangement better. Not only is it easier, the bulbs are cheaper and ours lights up the road better than the '06.

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
Is there a link that shows how to take the earlier ones out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for this. Ran with driver side out for a couple months until the passenger side blew.

As an addition, if either doesn't light up when replaced give the lens a few pats to help seat the plug on the assembly into the socket on the housing more.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I changed a headlight in '04 a few weeks back and had no trouble. Unfortunately i just lost my first one in Lily. It is on the driver's side. I have a simple question. In the group of pics it shows turning the headlight lock 90 degrees clockwise on the passenger side. On the driver's side headlight, do you turn the headlight lock clockwise or counter?

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
I changed a headlight in '04 a few weeks back and had no trouble. Unfortunately i just lost my first one in Lily. It is on the driver's side. I have a simple question. In the group of pics it shows turning the headlight lock 90 degrees clockwise on the passenger side. On the driver's side headlight, do you turn the headlight lock clockwise or counter?
Counterclockwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help!

Anyone have a shot of the LH (drivers side) with the lamp housing removed? I broke the locking mechanism removing the lamp housing and can't get it to lock. There's just one little piece of plastic cracked on the outboard end of the clamping rod. I'm hoping I can figure out a kluge to get it locked without having to replace that plastic receiver. Any photos showing how this thing is supposed to look would be appreciated.

·
VAG, it's a lifestyle...
47 Posts
I wonder if the 06+ mounting setup would retrofit into a 2004 chassis?
I absolutely detest the headlight mounting system in mine..........what a POS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone have an idea about removing the lens on an '06? I've seen a how-to for pre-06 models, but the 2006 changed that process. I've been digging around for a while and can't find anything anywhere! My lenses where so yellowed when I got the car that I bought two complete replacement headlight assemblies. They were OEM but used, so I was able to get a pair for about the price of one new headlight. As we all know, you get what you pay for! After a couple of months, I went through the car wash and my driver side light blew out. Apparently the original owner bottomed out and cracked the front bumper cover enough to create a small gap near the driver side headlight. (that dang front bumper cover is another thing that I can't find!) So, I knew about the cracked bumper cover. What I didn't know was that the used headlight that I'd purchased had deteriorating plastic around the wiring (socket?) for the low beam. That got fried from the high pressure water :mad: so I popped the original back in. Now Ringo McRattles looks like he has a black eye and I don't want to buy another complete assembly. I just want to swap the good lens onto the good assembly! I will probably just end up cutting the fried socket off and splicing the good one on, but if anyone knows of a lens swap method, then that would be awesome, too! Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 30 Posts