NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. When attempting to release the boot, rear hatch, trunk, I engaged the release switch at the driver's door and hear the reassuring electrical whirring from the direction of the rear of the car. When advancing to the rear to reap my reward,I find the the trunk lid is now standing proud of the bodywork about 1/4", but will not open. Being a true American through and through, I naturally grip the the lid and attempt to force it open using the reverse gravity techniques thought to me by the Jedi Drill Sargent in Space boot camp. I really despair of cramming my corpulent self into the boot via the folding back seat, so before performing that unholy exercise, any prior experience with this problem?
Much thanks
BB

·
Registered
36 Posts
weak/bad gas struts?

If it door doesn't stay up in the air you have a bad gas strut and doesn't lift it enough to fully unlock/open.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Can you have someone else hit the button while you are at the back and get it opened then? Not sure on the '06+ cars, but I know on the earlier cars there was an adjustment to allow the trunk to pop open more when the button was pressed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I occasionally have that problem on my daughters 01 so I’ve got into the habit of triggering the switch twice and that seems to usually do the trick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To all responders, much belated thanks. I'm embarrassed to report that wheezing gas struts was indeed the problem. Unfortunately, due to the immutable laws of physics, I was never able to push the boot open button and make it to the rear of the car in time to uplift the boot while the electrons were still coursing through the wires. As I suffer from from being single (suffer.he he), until I make that leap into eternal bliss and take a bride, I will never know the pure joy of knowing that a soul mate is only feet away to press my button or lift the hatch, or pump the brake for bleeding purposes or perform the ritual of testing rear light connections before dragging that trailer to Yellowstone. Don't feel too sorry for me. Really, don't. BB

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with an '99 GLS since day one. After many years of running to the back of the car as fast as possible I found out that there is a setscrew/bolt at each hinge that sets the preload tension on the hatch to make it pop up when released. I adjusted that in quarter turn intervals until it pops up and stays unlocked. I think it was a 10mm bolt but not sure. Problem solved!! No parts needed. I don't know if other year cars have those adjusters though. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts