NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
new mem - long time owner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Beetle TDI - automatic

Purchased it used 7 mths ago at 100K - I'm a long commuter so I've put 26K on it already.

When first purchased the "Engine Exhaust" light popped on while driving away from the "non VW dealer" - found the dealer had knocked the CCV loose while detailing the engine area. Reattaching fixed the light.

About 6 mths ago took to a VW dealer (That I know well and trust the mechanics) and had Timing belt/water pump/tranny filter replaced. He checked the car from bumper to bumper and said it was one of the most solid used TDI's he's seen. After about 50 miles the "Engine Exhaust" light came back on. (Light has been on since then, - haven't found resolution yet!!!).

About a month ago it started blowing heavy black soot during acceleration. Now - it alternates between moderate acceleration (slight lack of power) and blowing very heavy black soot - or almost no acceleration at all with barely visible smoke (like the turbo is not kicking in). My wife followed behind me and said there is a small amount of black smoke coming out most of the time even when not accelerating.

Changed the MAF with a new Bosch - but no help.

Thinking it might be a O2 sensor - but I don't want to plunk down another 200 on a guess - any other suggestions???

BTW - I've done "some" work on diesels in the past - but prefer to leave the complex stuff to those who have more time/experience. (but I'm also short on budget now too!!!)

Any help GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
Charles

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
Have you had the car scanned for codes?

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
afraid not -

I've got an ODB II reader - but had trouble getting it to fit in the VW slot. Not sure why - I thought it was supposed to fit everything!!!

The dealer is 2.5 hours away - so I usually only go when I HAVE to (like Timing belts, etc...)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
These things have an anti-shudder valve which closes off the intake, do they not? Any chance that thing could be closing?

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all - the Booster hose was a little loose at the bottom. (The plastic part) I noticed a bit of oil down there as well that has probably been pushing out. I twisted it some pushing down and it has cleared up everything except the "engine exhaust light" :D (now very good power - minimal soot).

I'll crawl under and drop the belly pan this weekend to see if there is anyway I can tighten it up a bit more permanently.

Still can't get my reader to fit in the slot - guess I'll stop by O'Riley and have them check out the Exhaust light..

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts