VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I bought a 2006 VW New Beetle Turbo Diesel a while back. 500 miles on a tank of gas. Smooth and fun on the four lanes and country roads.

However..... it intermittently stalls upon stopping. If I stop really carefully, it usually isnt an issue. Quicker stops.

Some days half the time. Some, not at all. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, fuse box, battery, had the turbo cleaned. Nada.

I tried having the computer flashed. It wouldnt sync with the computer at the mechanics. I also wouldnt give diagnostics.

I'm really thinking ECU. What would be the process for replacing that if that's the case. I do what I can without a mechanic, but this car has spent literal months with mechanics. Plural. Different shops. It's been gone over thoroughly and nothing can be found. No codes to be of any help.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,304 Posts
Cam sensor would be my guess vs. the ECU.

As far as not being able to get codes, is the radio stock or aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
ECU is at the very bottom of the list of reasons.

The first thing that comes to mind from your description is the transmission not shifting properly.

The second is you changed the wrong fuel pump.

Tell us about your car 2006 tdi, so you have the BEW engine. How many miles, what transmission? Which fuel pump was replaced? The BEW has two. One in the fuel tank which is called a lift pump and the other on the end of the head which is called the tandem pump.

Which fuse box the one where you open the drivers door or the one on top of the battery?

Has the crank sensor been changed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ECU is at the very bottom of the list of reasons.

The first thing that comes to mind from your description is the transmission not shifting properly.

The second is you changed the wrong fuel pump.

Tell us about your car 2006 tdi, so you have the BEW engine. How many miles, what transmission? Which fuel pump was replaced? The BEW has two. One in the fuel tank which is called a lift pump and the other on the end of the head which is called the tandem pump.

Which fuse box the one where you open the drivers door or the one on top of the battery?

Has the crank sensor been changed?
I will get all of that information for you. 123,000 miles.
6 speed auto
FB is on top of battery
Not sure on crank sensor, not to my knowledge since I've had it.
I have noticed that the trans seems to do 1st fine but seems to hesitate to go into second. My ex husband said I was crazy and it shifted fine. A friend drove it today and asked me if I noticed the cars delay shifting into in second.
Ugh. Lol.
It can stall out in the drive it I gently rev it a bit and let off suddenly. Not all the time, again, intermittently.
Great gas mileage. Not sure if that's important.

I'll get the other info. I have the car in town. Thank you for your time replying.
Cam sensor would be my guess vs. the ECU.

As far as not being able to get codes, is the radio stock or aftermarket?
Believe stock, but I will check.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Changing the transmission fluid could help with the shifting issue and perhaps the stalling issue as well. My thoughts were from your description that it was not downshifting correctly as you slow down and come to a stop. It stays in to high a gear, sometimes, and stalls.

The crank sensor can also cause random stalling.

You said it will not connect to a code reader? Does any of the places you took it have vcds? Vcds is a vw program that can read every code on your car, from every module including the transmission module.

You recently bought this car? Did the previous owner have any info on maintenance? Especially as to when the timing belt was last changed? The BEW has an 80k mile interval. If yours was changed on time your next change would be at around 160k, or 7 years from the last time.

I have an 05 Golf with the same engine my car just rolled over 400k miles. Of course I have the 5spd manual, so I don’t worry about shifting issues as long as I can still push the clutch and row the gear shift.

I had it inspected, two days ago and the guy doing the inspection asks how much longer I’m going to drive it. My car is the highest mileage vehicle that he inspects. No issues, no engine lights just 50+ mpg goodness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts