1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
select * from REQUESTOR_WORKFLOW-- where ACTION = ''
where REQUEST_NUM = 'D136851'
;

2006 convertible that is “BUGGING ME” because the battery keeps dying. First sign of electrical problems was 3 months ago. During a drive the engine light came on, then one by one other lights started to light up. We got the car to its destination but it wouldn't start after that. We charged the battery and tried to drive it to the shop but it died and had to be towed. The dealer (still under warranty at the time) replaced the alternator. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, the car wouldn't start due to a dead battery. I checked the output of the alternator using my battery/Alt tester and a volt-meter and it is putting out full power. Got a new battery and everything worked well for a few days.... until the car wouldn't start because of a dead battery. Checked the alternator again and it’s still putting out full power. Troubleshooting: Disconnected each sub circuit from the main fuse box above the battery and found that the Fuel pump circuit #163 is drawing current without the key being in the ignition. I checked the Fuel Pump Relay, and that seems to be working fine (not stuck with an open circuit or anything). Anyone have any other trouble shooting idea’s or have experienced this?

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Sounds like you've done the heavy lifting, and come up with a bad pump connector/pins/wire that has high resistance, or the pump itself has an internal issue, and has high resistance.

Perform a visual inspection of the connector (should be straightforward, pump under access plate under rear seat). If you have access to a DMM, ohm test the connectors.

Probably a bad pump, but confirm with the resistance test.

Luck for us the fuel pump job is pretty straightforward.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts