NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife just called me from work. She said she was told this morning by three people that both her passenger side low beam and fog light were out on her 2007 NB. I just put new bulbs in the car (both headlight and fog light) so I doubt it is the bulb. I'll be checking the fuses to see if that could be an issue,and checking the euroswitch to see if it is ok, but what else might I be looking at?

Thanks, Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Glenn,

Below are the wiring diagrams for the fogs and both side headlights. Look for something common to the right headlight and the right fog. Not the fuses and not the foglight relay. The fogs actually share a common relay so it couldn't be that anyway. And since they share a common relay, it can't be the switch. Curious, you say you have a Euroswitch, why would the front fogs and the headlights both be on at the same time? That's the purpose for the Euroswitch, to separate them. When there is fog, you use the fogs, when there's not, you don't. Check closely for a common ground. Looking, I don't see them to be common either. Cheap bulbs maybe? For excellent bulbs, Oshram European Silverstars, not Oshram Sylvania Silverstars.

Oshram bulbs, not Oshram Sylvania . Oshram bought and owns Oshram Sylvania, but produces completely different bulbs for the European market. They are the standard 55w halogens, but are enhanced with xenon gas (get it? Halogens with HID xenon gas) They are available with the standard bases used in NBs and are legal in the US. I have two threads, here and over on the Vortex, with very positive reviews of these bulbs and I have linked a very good online source in both threads. Go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/52075-oshram-v-oshram-sylvania-bulbs.html?highlight=oshram
Or here-
VWVortex.com - Best headlight replacement

MORAV

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MORAV,

Thanks for the excellent response. I'll definitely start troubleshooting as soon as I get the car home. As for the Euroswitch, the wife said she looked at the car, and sure enough the right low beam was out, so for the heck of it she said she tried the fogs. When she looked at it again, the right fog was out also. I called her and asked her to try them separately, and with just fogs on, the right one is still out. I'm thinking a common issue, or just coincidence that both right side bulbs took a crap at the same time.

Glenn

·
Registered
995 Posts
Sounds dumb, but is the headlight bucket firmly in place? It could be the cause of the headlight not working. Happened to me.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
When the right HIGH beam is out (blown bulb) the fogs will not come on.
Tom, I need some help with that statement. Can you explain please.

M.

·
1,255 Posts
MORAV:

Follow the path of circuit A37 from the bottom side of the fog light relay J5 to the right high beam bulb. With the high beams off, the relay circuit A37 will be at ground potential via the high beam bulb (approx 5 ohms) and energized. When the high beams are turn on, 12 volts will be placed on the bottom side of the fog relay (circuit A37) thereby removing the ground path as before and de-energizing the relay opening the voltage path to the fog lights. This will either prevent the fog lights from being turned on or turn them off if on when high beams are selected. Now, if the bulb is burned out or open, there will not be a current path to ground and the fog relay will be de-energized therefore no fog lights.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I found the cause today as soon as I started to troubleshoot. Short story, connector at the Euroswitch was not firmly seated. Guess I didn't get it snapped all the way in when I installed it. (That will teach me to do a job like that in the evening). Anyway, all is good now. Thanks all for the help.

Glenn

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Well, I found the cause today as soon as I started to troubleshoot. Short story, connector at the Euroswitch was not firmly seated. Guess I didn't get it snapped all the way in when I installed it. (That will teach me to do a job like that in the evening). Anyway, all is good now. Thanks all for the help.

Glenn
You never answered my question up above but I was eluding to your switch being the possible issue when I asked:

Is the euro switch a oem vw switch or one of those ebay switches from Hong Kong China?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, it was an OEM switch

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
MORAV:

Follow the path of circuit A37 from the bottom side of the fog light relay J5 to the right high beam bulb. With the high beams off, the relay circuit A37 will be at ground potential via the high beam bulb (approx 5 ohms) and energized. When the high beams are turn on, 12 volts will be placed on the bottom side of the fog relay (circuit A37) thereby removing the ground path as before and de-energizing the relay opening the voltage path to the fog lights. This will either prevent the fog lights from being turned on or turn them off if on when high beams are selected. Now, if the bulb is burned out or open, there will not be a current path to ground and the fog relay will be de-energized therefore no fog lights.
Thanks! I wasn't being a smart ass, just needed that explaination. I didn't realize the fogs were designed to go off with the high beams on. Surprised there's not a mod around here so everyone can defeat this and further piss oncoming drivers off (lol)! Was this true on the earlier models, the diagrams I put up are post '05?

To the OPer, glad you found and easily resolved your issue!

M.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Yes M. All nB models the fog lights go off when high beams are on. I would put money on every car's fogs turning off when high beams are used. It was like that back in the day on my 91 FireChicken. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yes M. All nB models the fog lights go off when high beams are on. I would put money on every car's fogs turning off when high beams are used. It was like that back in the day on my 91 FireChicken. :lol:
I didn't know. Haven't figured why they operate with the headlights on at all. Totally defeats the purpose. That is, of course, if your using them for the purpose intended, fog. Hence the purpose of the Euroswitch. ALL my other vehicles with fogs had separate switches and a headlight switch that separated the headlights from the running lights.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
I didn't know. Haven't figured why they operate with the headlights on at all. Totally defeats the purpose. That is, of course, if your using them for the purpose intended, fog. Hence the purpose of the Euroswitch. ALL my other vehicles with fogs had separate switches and a headlight switch that separated the headlights from the running lights.
True about the switch on the GM's and most other cars. I worked at a new car dealer as a detailer/porter in the early 90's and was exposed to a lot of different cars. My FireBird had its fog switch right in the center of the dash below the radio. Wow! Hard to believe I still remeber that car like it was yesterday. :lol: Anyhoo, like Duffy and you both said, they shouldn't be on with the brights and most mfr's make that happen. I've used that as an indicator if oncoming cars have their brights on. If you see fogs, those are just bright low beams. :D

Gotta replace my driver's side fog tonight. Noticed it was out yesterday and fell asleep on the couch watching MNF.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
True about the switch on the GM's and most other cars. I worked at a new car dealer as a detailer/porter in the early 90's and was exposed to a lot of different cars. My FireBird had its fog switch right in the center of the dash below the radio. Wow! Hard to believe I still remeber that car like it was yesterday. :lol: Anyhoo, like Duffy and you both said, they shouldn't be on with the brights and most mfr's make that happen. I've used that as an indicator if oncoming cars have their brights on. If you see fogs, those are just bright low beams. :D

Gotta replace my driver's side fog tonight. Noticed it was out yesterday and fell asleep on the couch watching MNF.
You should consider the Oshram European Silverstars (xenon gas in a halogen bulb). They are available with the standard bases used in NBs and are legal in the US. I have two threads, here and over on the Vortex, with very positive reviews of these bulbs and I have linked a very good online source in both threads. Go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/52075-oshram-v-oshram-sylvania-bulbs.html?highlight=oshram
Or here-
VWVortex.com - Best headlight replacement

M. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts