VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I looked around a ton for this particular issue, but am a little confused.

The car has 56k miles on it. All original equipment. Automatic. Last week, it became difficult to shift from park into gear (reverse or drive.) Not impossible, just harder. When driving, all sounds fine.

I saw a bunch of stuff about the valve body, but that seemed to be more "geared" towards shifting from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 while moving. My problem is really just hard to get from park into gear.

Where should I look next?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like it could be a linkage binding problem. I have a'04 with a DSG trans that the valve body went bad in. I thought it was going to tear the car apart. You will know when it starts to go bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there something I can do to this car to "fix" this possible linkage binding problem? Or at least check it out?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Maybe brake light switch or someone spilled something into the console that is sticky?

Brake light switch going bad will to release the shifter interlock. The yellow light on the console next to the shifter will stay on if the brake light switch is bad. This assumes the light is working. You should hear the solenoid in the console click when the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe brake light switch or someone spilled something into the console that is sticky?
I'll try and get in there and take a look. Any tips on getting in there?

Brake light switch going bad will to release the shifter interlock. The yellow light on the console next to the shifter will stay on if the brake light switch is bad. This assumes the light is working. You should hear the solenoid in the console click when the brake pedal is depressed.
I'll check that out. I don't remember anything lit, but u never know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to the dealership (they are very cool here.) Turns out the shifter arm in the console had partially popped out of its housing. They just popped it back in all the way.

So, all good!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Glad it was something simple.

Keep an eye out for future valve body issues, usually around 70k miles you will start to see signs that gradually get worse.

Ask me or anyone else that has uses this section of the Forum and they will tell you their story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts