VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
k i t s u n e
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 NBC triple white hasn't had any alignment issues or rattling/anything since I bought it. But now that it's January and I live in the midwest it is bitterly cold. I park outside (not when it snows overnight) and I couldn't open my door because the window wouldn't roll down 1/2". I had to basically pull harder until the window came out. My windows ALWAYS drop when it's not freezing cold. Once the car was started and warmed up 10 minutes later, I went back outside and opened and closed my door repeatedly and it was working fine like normal. I figured this is just a matter of the windows freezing?? Will this damage anything if it keeps happening during the winter?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Either a door latch problem or the window was frozen to the gasket. This is NORMAL if the window freezes to the gasket.

May wear the edge of the top if it is a common problem.

Many convertibles are garage queens and are not daily drivers, so you may not hear about this often.

I have 2 convertibles that are daily drivers, this happens if they sit out and anything freezes.

·
k i t s u n e
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either a door latch problem or the window was frozen to the gasket. This is NORMAL if the window freezes to the gasket.

May wear the edge of the top if it is a common problem.

Many convertibles are garage queens and are not daily drivers, so you may not hear about this often.

I have 2 convertibles that are daily drivers, this happens if they sit out and anything freezes.
I figured that's what it was. They won't even roll down when they're frozen. But again once the car is warmed up it's perfectly fine (and in warmer weather)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Convertible or not, no windows will roll down when frozen.

The only issue is on most convertibles the window drops about 1/4-3/8" to clear the top over hang.

You can get the door to open, but it is rough on the top fabric and will wear the top fabric, at some point it fray.

If it is only a few times, usually not an issue.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is one reason we try to keep our convertible in the garage if there is a chance of freezing rain. Unfortunately, it's not always possible to do so since our daughter currently has it with her at college. I've told her to take her ice scraper inside with her if there might be freezing rain. At least then she has a chance of scraping the ice off the window and hopefully it will go down when she opens the door. Another possibility would be to keep the ice scraper in the trunk, but if the trunk freezes closed too... :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Silicone Spray works

Every Winter I Silicone spray all the rubber seals around the doors, trunk and windows. Keeps the doors and trunk from freezing shut and keeps the windows from sticking to the seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts