VW Beetle Forum banner

2007 Vert Back Up Camera Wire Routing

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KidorioL 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed a wired back up camera on a 2006 to 2010 Convertible. If so, how did you route the wiring,

Thank You in Advance...
Matt

#2 ·
Garmin BC-30 on 09 NBC

I just installed a Garmin BC-30 in my 09 Vert.

Removed license plate and found two large holes to run the camera cable behind bumper. Added a little spacer under each plate mounting bolt to allow for cable clearance.

Removed right back up light assembly (avoiding muffler heat on left side) to access back up light wiring and camera cable from license plate hole. Spliced in the camera power wiring to the backup light cable.

Stuck the camera transmitter on bumper lip (flat area) just under back up light.

Installed camera just above license plate center with home made U-shaped bracket. The supplied bracket just wouldn't fit as I liked or modify supplied camera bracket.

Sorry, no pictures.

#9 ·
I just installed a Garmin BC-30 in my 09 Vert.
Removed license plate and found two large holes to run the camera cable behind bumper. Added a little spacer under each plate mounting bolt to allow for cable clearance.
Removed right back up light assembly (avoiding muffler heat on left side) to access back up light wiring and camera cable from license plate hole. Spliced in the camera power wiring to the backup light cable.
Stuck the camera transmitter on bumper lip (flat area) just under back up light.
Installed camera just above license plate center with home made U-shaped bracket. The supplied bracket just wouldn't fit as I liked or modify supplied camera bracket.
Sorry, no pictures.
Thanks for the write-up, Tom----test-fit things tonight, and believe I'll make a bracket too and (hopefully) wrap up the install this weekend...that factory-supplied bracket really doesn't work with the "06-10 convertible bumper. :)

#6 ·
I had a Pioneer AVIC-1 installed in 2008 and they routed the wiring from the head unit under the console and under the back seats into the trunk. From the trunk they drilled an access hole and put a rubber grommet in it behind the license plate. Mounted the camera above the license plate. Has worked great since 2008.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.