NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a heck of a time finding this antenna base. I don't know what to call it, but I think it's the radio and XM combined. Searches for it bring up a several types that don't look like this one. It's the one that's rounded across the top with large humps on either side. Can somebody give a link or part number for it? I'll need a new whip and probably a gasket as well. Here's a photo of what I'm looking for. I got this from a site that doesn't have any in stock.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
If you are looking for your original part; search using your vin # on vw parts site or call, go by your local vw dealer's parts dept with your vin #. Once you get the part number; you can look online for the best prices. There should be part numbers; imprinted on your old parts as well.

(note: "enter vin"; top right hand corner of the vw parts page):

Shop Volkswagen Parts and Accessories

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I got a replacement now, it may be the wrong one as it looks like the "shark fin type. I thought I would try it out before I return it, but I've run into something I didn't expect. There's a metal plate between the headliner and the roof. I can only see 2 screws holding it on towards the back, but I imagine that there's more towards the front. Has anybody run across this before?

Attachments

·
μολὼν λαβ
212 Posts
QuiQuog, did you figure out how to install your antenna base with that metal panel in the way? I've got a loose antenna base on my wife's '09 and have run into the same problem trying to access the nut to tighten the base down. Did you manage somehow to get the metal plate out of the way?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm running through this now, has anyone found or posted pic, notes or instructions on the best way to attack this job without removing the entire headline and metal cover?

·
Registered
12,103 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, this helps, but I was specifically looking for anyone with experience in having to remove the sheet metal that underneath the headliner as in the pics of this post. I'm guessing I may have to remove almost the entire headliner to gain access under the sheet metal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, just replaced the antenna base and pulled the headliner down in the back half forward to the door jams. Removing the rear seat belt uppers and handles. It’s just enough to get your hands in there to work on it. I have a 2008 and had 5 screws to remove in order to completely remove the sheet metal piece. Three along the back window and one on each side. Replaced the antenna base and and all other parts.

I did NOT put the sheet metal back in place. Not sure it’s purpose, attached is a pic of the sheet metal if you have any thoughts about it’s removal let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, just replaced the antenna base and pulled the headliner down in the back half forward to the door jams. Removing the rear seat belt uppers and handles. Its just enough to get your hands in there to work on it. I have a 2008 and had 5 screws to remove in order to completely remove the sheet metal piece. Three along the back window and one on each side. Replaced the antenna base and and all other parts.

I did NOT put the sheet metal back in place. Not sure its purpose, attached is a pic of the sheet metal if you have any thoughts about its removal let me know.
That's the rear header for the roof's integrity in the event of a rollover. It, along with the deform panels upper rear right and left, is designed to assist in helping the roof to collapse more slowly and protect the passengers. If it's not there, and heaven forbid your vehicle is in a rollover and accident reconstructionists/adjusters find it missing, that'll pretty much invalidate a lot of your legal rights. As a retired insurance adjuster, I urge you to bite the bullet and put it back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts