VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I really would appreciate some advice...

I absolutely love my 2008 Beetle Convertible SE. Before that, I had an '01, and I basically can't see myself ever in anything but a Beetle. That being said, my '08, which I bought used in 2011 from someone who was a flight attendant and hardly drove it, has low miles, is usually driven only once a day a short distance because I work from home, and yet it has had its fair share of little annoying electrical issues since I bought it - battery has died twice, safety release stopped working which turned the airbags off (that was nice and expensive and NOT covered under my extended warranty because it's 'cosmetic').. lights go out all the time inside and out.. and now, there's a defect of some sort with the relay switch in the dashboard with the hazard lights that has caused my signals to short. Luckily, the extended warranty will cover this, but my fear is that these things will continue happening and my car will be worth nothing.

There is a brand new 2013 Beetle Convertible that my dealer is trying to get rid of because of the 2014s coming in. It's been greatly reduced and has nav/sound and all those extra fun things, and of course, I'm in love with it. They've offered me a reasonable trade in value for my 2008.. but probably not for much longer if it keeps having issues.

I can't find much at all about the 2013 convertibles, because obviously they're new.. Does anyone have any advice on me trading in for the 2013?

Thanks!!

·
BEAR
109 Posts
electrical problems are forever. It is a sad but true thing. Replacing a wiring harness is impractical. I have not heard anything bad about the 2013 models. If you are worried then you have reason to be woried. I'd go with my gut on this one and move on into the 2013 model.

·
1,255 Posts
I would prefer the 2013 for styling, mostly the interior. Many new neat features too. Not to mention it's five years newer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the input. I looked at the car again last night and am in love, but I'm still debating if I should wait until my extended warranty expires in 2015…

And Bexar, I sadly agree. Ugh!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts