NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend we had a good amount of rain. To my surprise I had water (almost a puddle) in the driver floorboard. I saw that water was coming from the lower left corner; not sure how to explain it. I put my hand in that space near the fuse box like underneath the left side of the dashboard and I could feel wet. My question is: is there a drainage on that side that may be blocked?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
Do you have a sunroof? There are drains in the door jamb that are probably clogged if so.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
If you open the door, you should see it sticking out of the door jam. They get clogged easily. There was a TSB about the drains on mk4s for a number of years that the solution was to basically just snip the ends off because they are too small and clog up. I did it myself to my drains on my GTI. Helped keep them clear. First time I had the issue, I squeezed the drain tube, a bunch of gunk came out, followed by a lot of water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am loading few oics. I found a drain hose in the A pillar as shown in the photo. I blew it up and hope this solves the problem. Did not find any drain by the door jam.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
Sorry, I should have clarified. Its in the jam at the hinge to the body of the car. At least that's where it was on my mk4 GTI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL - I will check that side. But then if that is the case; why would I feel water right when I stick my hand underneath the fuse box? You can see in your picture to the right of the hood handle; you can stick your hand in that area. In another post someone mentioned there are few drain holes beneath the windshield wiper area; I could not remove the wiper; so I ordered a removal tool just to be safe and check there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, mine does not have it there. I cleaned up the one I showed you on that photo and yesterday and today it has rained alot, and no signs of water getting in :)..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have dealt with this issue on my daughters 2006 beetle for about 3 years now. There is a series of ports, connectors, and hoses leading from all the corners of the sunroof to the bottom of the fenders. I've had so.. so.. luck blowing down the port holes from the top. Not so much luck fishing thin wire down them. I would feel around for dampness on headliner above the driver side A pillar. If wet there your clog or break is right at the sun roof port hole\connection. If not and water is showing up by the fuse box your issue is blockage outside under the hood near the lower end of A pillar.
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I finally gave up and just clear caulked the sun roof shut from the top side. No more swimming pool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts