NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with this morning. My wife informs me that her beetle alarm keeps going off, and the neighbor is yelling to shut it off so after about 4 times, she shuts it off until I wake up.

I tell her she probably left a door ajar or something silly, and that since we were going to drive it long distance today, I would give it a look.

Ok, Everything seemed fine, we went to the license bureau and got my wife's nifty personalized plate, and whilst there, I set the alarm, and had no issues.

We started our long trip and I went to pass someone on the highway and hit a pretty good bump, and I noticed a flash of light from the dash. It didn't stay on or even flicker at first. It was the hatch lid ajar light and it was what was flashing intermittently and I am guessing it's a bad switch or a wire (hope not), or just a loose harness.

On the return trip home it never went on and I set the alarm when we got home a little while ago and it is doing ok.

Does anyone know where to look for the switch, and the harness connector? I'd like to start with those first. I can use the old bypass method on the switch to see if indeed it is the culprit before continuing with any extensive surgery.

Thanks in advance for any help you could give.

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
The latch may be out of adjustment. There is a thread on here somewhere about how to adjust it. Try doing a search and see what you can find. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I did do some searching and found an article on it here at nb.org, but I got a little confused if i am adjusting the switch location or the actual lid latch as it shuts and opens very well and tight. I will keep searching...

Now if only someone put up a complete service manual like they did for my '09 cube, that would be fantastic. I do like seeing hidden fasteners and the like before ripping into a project.

Once again, thanks for the info.

·
boop
42 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, but i believe the following is accurate, based on my own experience trying to deal with latch issues:

The latch and the switch are both a part of the greater latch assembly (black box with the hook-shaped thing that physically latches the hatch to the car).

The latch is controlled by an actuator that mechanically pushes the latch open with a metal arm thing. This is what happens when you press the trunk release inside the door or on your key fob.

The switch that detects whether the latch is closed (and thus controls the warning indicator) is a little black post behind the 'hook' thing inside of the latch assembly. When the hook is pushed into one position (i forget if it's the open or closed position), it presses that switch, and that's how the car knows the hatch is ajar.

You can see how the latch works here: New Beetle Rear Latch Assembly - YouTube

In the bottom half of the video (which corresponds to the part of the hatch that's closest to the roof), you can see the metal arm that pushes the hook open when he presses the button. The switch in question is located underneath the black plastic shell at the very top of the video. If i remember right, there is no way to get to the switch without removing the entire assembly, which requires a 10 mm XZN (triple-square) driver.

I don't know what's causing your problem, but if you do need to replace the switch, you're going to have to replace the latch assembly. It's about 50 or 60 dollars, and seems simple to do as long as you have the drivers to remove it. I'm not sure if the part number is the same on yours, but on mine (2003 GLS 2.0) it's 1C0827505E01C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts