VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 beetle is overheating really bad. I finally found hte problem:
(keep in mind i may call things the wrong name. Im figuring out working on cars as I go)

the hose has come disconnected cominh out of the firewall. when I accelerate, coolant come out of there. looking at hte hose and the connector which it goes to, it seems that the connector has a fairly small piece of piping for which the hose to connect to. I conducted a test of the water pump which i saw on a youtube video and it seems that water pump works ok. its just his one hose which i cant seem to reattach.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Basically; one of the connections to the heater coupler/heater core has broken off; these can be purchased at the vw dealer or the Dorman brand, sells them at most auto parts stores. This happened to me; when I was working on a Jetta in the EXACT same place! :cuss: Keep in mind; as you work on the cooling system or any of the hoses in the engine compartment, the plastic connectors, hoses, etc.; get very brittle and fragile as time goes on, anything plastic will easily break. Its really frustrating and aggravating but if you do work on things, expect to replace quite a few plastic parts. If you can; replace plastic with metal (if available); I have replaced hose connectors with brass from the hardware store in the plumbing section (look for brass "pex" compatible size fittings). The aftermarket scene; is starting to make aluminum parts to replace the plastic coolant flanges, fittings, etc. but they are not always available for everything.

http://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-part/cooling-system

I got the Dorman versions; I think they had them in stock at my local Autozone. I went ahead and replaced BOTH of them; since they are prone to breaking and cracking.

Dorman Part #: 902-916
Coolant Coupling
Application Summary: Volkswagen Beetle 2010-04, Volkswagen Bora 2005, Volkswagen Golf 2006-99, Volkswagen Jetta 2005-01

Application Notes:
L5 151 2.5L (2480cc); Between Water Outlet and Coolant Pipe

VIEW DETAILS

Dorman Part #: 902-919
Coolant Coupling with Gasket
Application Summary: Audi 2006-97, Volkswagen 2013-98

Application Notes:
L5 151 2.5L (2480cc); At Radiator; Coupling
Mexico Region; L4 121 2.0L (1984cc); At Radiator; AZJ Eng; BER Engine Designation; BEV Engine Designation; BHP Engine Designation; Coupling
Mexico Region; L4 121 2.0L (1984cc); At Radiator; CBPA Engine Designation; Coupling
Mexico Region; L5 151 2.5L (2480cc); At Radiator; BPR Eng; BPS Eng; Coupling

Dorman Products - Search Results

I am pretty sure; these are the correct parts from vw but look at your old ones or order with your vin #. NOTE: pretty much all original vw parts will have the part # imprinted on the part itself:

[ 2 ] COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / HOSES & LINES / Upper hose coupling
Part Number: 1C0122291

[ 6 ] COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / HOSES & LINES / Water hose assy coupling
Part Number: 1J0122291B

http://parts.vw.com/parts/2008/Volkswagen/Beetle/S?siteid=9&vehicleid=204496&diagram=9210650

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one problem that i seem to be having still is trying to get that Z shaped hose off. I undid the hose clamps, but the hose is stuck pretty solid onto the black metal tube attached to a part on the engine. Ive twisted and wiggled that thing a whole bunch but it doesnt want to seem to budge. There might be a part of the old plastic tube inside it which means Ill have to replace it as well.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
When I replaced the connectors on the firewall/heater core, they were pretty much impossible to get off (original plastic parts on a 10 plus year old car). For the remnants of the plastic part that broke off inside the rubber hose; I took some pliers and crushed what was left of the hard plastic, then dug it out of the rubber hose. After that; I removed the hose and used compressed air, water to flush it out (this also; confirmed that it wasn't clogged). For the connecter at the fire wall; I carefully broke it apart. You have to be VERY careful; as the heater core connector is/was plastic as well. So, I carefully used a cutting wheel (you could use something like a dremel tool to do this); cut a line in the plastic (without cutting/hurting the inner hose for the heater core) and broke off pieces, until I removed the remnants of the connector. I cannot caution you enough; to be careful in the removal process (if you break the inner connector; you would have to replace the whole heat core; a big job, not fun!). There maybe a better way to do it but that is how I got mine off. I think; because of the shrinkage of the plastic and it being on there for so long, it was seemingly... impossible to get off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luckily, I got the plastic valve off the connector to the firewall ok. it was jsut that hose. I took it to a few places to get it replaced but no one seems to have it in stock. Im very local to an Oreileey's Autozone and carquest. sadly, As I was riding my bicycle from place to place, the original hose fell out of my backpack. :/ does anyone have a good website for good parts?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
There are some places; that are making aftermarket hoses (CRP, GATES) and then there is direct from volkswagen. You can look them up; at the links below: if you get the vw part #, then you can google for the best price. If you are in a pinch; it maybe possible to use raw bulk hose; that you can find at a auto parts store, go with it for now and order the correct hose later. In that case; just match up the hose, that fits the connector on the new plastic connector that you get from vw or dorman (you can use tie wraps to keep things routed and out of the way).

vw:

Volkswagen National eStore

crp:

ShowMeTheParts - Automotive Aftermarket Electronic Catalog

gates:

Auto Parts Interchange | Gates Corporation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got all the parts connected. it looks like that particular leak is fixed. however. no it looks like there may be a leak coming from the bottom of the coolant reservoir. like, those hose that comes out of the reservoir into the all the other places coolant needs to get to. But im not sure. Im really hoping its not coming from the water pump. as far as i understand, my impeller is good because when i rev the engine. water pumps back into the reservoir when i disconnected that hose(a test i saw on a youtube video.

Also, I've been using just water while ive been checking the leaks and stuff, but I normally use Pentafrost. it says its G12 compatible. does anyone know a place that carries something different? autozone and oreilleys doesn't have it, carquest by my house gave me the pentafrost.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
When it comes to coolant leaks; these cars leak from a number of different "classic" places but it could come from anywhere. I ended up buying a coolant pressure tester from Harbor Freight; that was really, the way I found the really hard to find leaks on my car. It is something of a investment but considering, how much a shop would charge for just one hour to look at your car ($100 plus; most likely in CA) or test the cooling system yourself, it is totally worth it. Keep in mind; that these cars will continue to have leaks (because of so much plastic in the cooling system); as long as your own it, so you will be using this kit again, again, again! This particular kit; has adapter for our Volkswagen and for most cars on the road today.

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258 (check online; for a extra 20% off coupon)

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

For the location of your leak; there are many hoses, places that could leak and that is also, in a similar vicinity to the water pump. Note: your water pump could be leaking and still working, so anything is possible. You might jack up your car and put it on jack stands and look at the water pump "weep hole", to see if it is leaking. If you get the coolant pressure tester kit; just pressurize the system and while it may take a couple of pressurization cycles, it should be VERY obvious, where the leak is coming from.

As far as coolant for VW; you can get Pentosin, as most places or get it from your local VW dealer.

Look up the correct coolant for your car and call around; to see who carries it.

ShowMeTheParts - Automotive Aftermarket Electronic Catalog

Here in New Mexico; Pep Boys and O'Reilly's has it in stock on the shelf (I think; Autozone, CarQuest, NAPA could special order it next day). I don't know; where in CA your are (socal/norcal?) but I would think, it shouldn't be too hard to find it in your area with so many VW's out there. You could order it online; let us know, where you live and maybe we can point you in the direction of a supplier in your area. From my experience; the genuine VW coolant and Pentosin, is the most widely available VW spec coolant out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts