VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 Convertible Seats swap into 2001.0

So I got a set of front seats from a 2008 Convertible Bug at the parts yard the other day. So far I've cleaned up the 'new' passenger side seat (anyone in the facebook group may know that some schmuck put the engine in the backseat of the car, so it had grease\dirt on it from that) and removed the one from my car to compare what I figured would be different airbag connectors on the bottoms. I never even thought about how much more complicated the new seat might be compared to mine. :screwy:

Auto part Machine

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car City car

Wire Cable Electrical wiring Technology Electrical supply

So I figured out easily that the 2 wire yellow connector connects to the seatbelt latch, and my original seat doesn't have any latch wiring. After taking, downloading, and labeling all the photos, I came here and searched and think I may have figured out that the newer passenger seats have weight sensors in them, which I didn't know until now. :rolleyes: So I'm guessing that the black connector (which also connects some wires to the latch as well) goes to that and I think I can just not connect that as well.

So that leaves the connector for the Airbag Igniter. The wires are all the same colors, so in theory this should be a no-brainer, right? Except for 1 thing.

Finger Cable Electronics Technology Electrical connector

Yellow Light Technology Wire Cable

Parallel

On my 2001, the wires connect straight through by color (counting the White\Black as essentially 1 color). but on the 2008 seat the Blue and White\Black reverse on either side of the connector.

It's on the Car Harness side of the connector that the wires are reversed between the 2 cars. The seat side of the connector is Black-Blue-Brown on both seats.

So, I'm not 100% sure whether I should make the connection inline like the 2001 or reversed like the 2008 when I swap connectors.

Looking for opinions before I swap the connectors, since I figure it could go 1 of 3 ways:
  1. it'll work just fine either inline or reversed.
  2. if I choose wrong it'll just throw a bubblegum light on the cluster.
  3. if I choose wrong it'll do something crazy like set off the airbag.

options 1 and 2 I'm okay with. it's the possibility of option 3 that makes me nervous. :confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did the same seat swap two years ago and am forgetting the color codes. I did have the plugs from the car side of the donor seats and I seem to recall making adapter harnesses I can not find the pictures due to a hard drive crash, I do remember that the airbag light lit due to turning on the key before both seats were plugged in and that I used VCDS to shut the light off. I have a GL and the seats I put in it were from a GLS so there were more wires in the seats than in my car, due to heaters etc. If needed I can see if I can squeeze a camera under the seats for a picture but if I do it will have to be tomorrow at the soonest. Look for a wiring diagram on the net as that might help too, I loaned out my Bentley manual so do not have a diagram handy at the moment. You will probably light the air bag light by accident but the odds are that you will not set off the airbags if that is of any comfort

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
We dealt with recently with another member; what they ended up doing, to maintain the earlier seats compatibility with the car, was to swap good parts over to the old frame and existing airbags. In their case, i think they swapped seat covers and some foam and came out with best of both worlds; better condition seat and the compatible wiring and airbag system. Let me know if that makes sense; now, if you are swapping a totally different seat, that would be a different story but similar seats/materials will probably work fine.

·
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swapping the covers would probably be even more complicated because the release lever on the new ones is on the top/corner as opposed to the side of the seat like the older ones. Pretty sure I just need to deal with the 3 wire connector. It's just the silly white and blue wire reversal thing that I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Here is the thread and successful solution; from the other member, the question being the compatibility of the airbags in the later 2008 model vs. the 2001 year? Allot changed in those years; in particular 2006 forward. Even though you might be able to hook things up; will the airbag controller play nice with the newer seats and work, when it really matters (e.g. you have a accident)? I guess this is a open question; thus, I would rather retain the earlier airbag related parts, to insure they were functional. Airbags and the SRS are important; you could be putting your life on the line, if things don't work at the time of a life threatening accident. Anyway, something to think about and check out this thread, for what they ended up doing to make it work for them.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-bee...code-after-replacing-seats-wrecking-yard.html

·
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, good news so far!

After discovering that I couldn't just remove the pins and swap the connectors because the wire ends are actually different (square receivers on 2001, flat blade ones on the 08), I went back to the pick-n-pull. I didn't want to cut off the connectors from my original seats to make an adapter, and there was a 99 bug with trashed seats I thought might be the same. They were, so I nabbed those. Soldered up an adapter from that and the other half of the connector set I got with the new seats.

Cable Wire Technology Eyewear Electronic device

Just set the seat in the car and hooked it up.... *drumroll* :rockband:

Cleared the airbag light I had cuz I drove the car with no passenger seat.....

Restarted the car, et voila.... no new airbag light! (or code in the module, I double checked. lol)

I also discovered that the blue and black/white wire reversal is sort of irrelevant when I was testing wire continuity in the adapter. There's actually a little metal piece in the connector that bridges the 2 wires.

Yellow Electronics Technology Finger Lego

This makes me happy.

I'm not sure when they started using the weight sensors and seatbelt plugs (on the passenger side for the plug anyways. I know my drivers side does have one).. guessing I didn't have the problem the guy with the 04 had because my original seat bottom is even dumber than his was. :lol:

Next up, cleaning carpet before fully hooking the seat back in, then tackling the driver side!

·
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I got the driver's side done the other day. Rigged up basically the same adapter for the airbag connector.

As far as the seatbelt connector on that side, my original one and the car were both 2 wire connectors. The buckle on the new one is a 4 wire. But thankfully, I had to replace the buckle before and the one I got that time was a 4 wire (a long time ago, before I realized having different wiring would even be a consideration), and I knew it would work with just 2 wires connected.

Original buckle and car were both Yellow and Brown wires. The replacement was Yellow, Brown, Green and Blue. My dad installed it and just spliced the connector from my original buckle onto the newer buckle's yellow and brown wires, leaving the green and blue in in the connector that came on the buckle and not connecting it to anything.

The harness piece I took to make the adapter from the 08 bug had Yellow, Brown, Reddish, and another Brown. So when I made the adapter for the new seat and car, I took that original connector (well traveled thing, this being it's 3rd life) and connected it to the yellow and a brown wire and capped off the other brown and reddish one. (Figured if it popped the airbag light It would be because I got the wrong brown wire of the 2 and I'd just swap the pin positions).

Wire Cable Electrical wiring Technology Electronic device

Installed the seat and hooked everything up.. No airbag light. :kult: :banana: :warmfuzi:

:thewave:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover Car seat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.