NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Beetle convertible. I need to replace the window regulator but every where I go they do not show a part number for the convertible. Dorman doesn't make one for the convertible and an internet search doesn't show it. The dealer has one but I refuse to pay $350.00 for it. The cable broke, the motor is good. Anyone have a part number or source for the replacement for a convertible.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
I would just go with the repair kit from vw; it does take some work with getting the cables back on the regulator pulleys but is is a quality, affordable, durable solution. The repair kit, replaces the part theat commonly fails and i installed one recently and itbwirked out fine. Contact your local vw dealer parts dept with your vin number and they should be able tio get the correct part you need. Most orders will come next day, if ordered before the order cut off time and i believe the kit was under $120 or so. I hope this helps, once you get the part; let us know and we can discuss the techniques, to get the cables back on the small regulator pulleys; which is the hardest part of the repair kit installation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to get mine rebuilt.
Be sure to get the regulator as well as that usually causes the motor to go bad.
Also, the window needs to be aligned properly to keep the window working properly.

I replaced them with my wife's convertible and when I reinstalled the regulator assy, the plastic piece that holds the window did seat right and when I tightened the bolt the window exploded. I had to replace it too. Don't be me. Make sure the hole is clicked in and lined up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to replace Drivers window regulator and could not get cable on. Took it to the service desk at local dealer and I was frustrated so they walked me over to a tech who used a special tool to pop it on....at no cost!

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
I use a pair of needle nose pliers, along with a helper; to get the cable onto the pulley. The principle, is like what you used to do; when your chain, fell off the sprocket; on your bicycle. The pulley, has notches, cut out of it; which you can get the cable to get onto; then you use the needle nose pliers, to push the cable onto the pulley, as you turn the cable/pulley. The cable is very tight, under constant tension; from the spring/plastic tensioner but it can be done! It would interesting to know, what special tool they use; I haven't heard of one or seen one, in the vw service manual but VW typically, has a "special tool" for everything! :)

·
RIVERSIDE CHURCH
3 Posts
im guessing 1539? or a number close it is hollow and has a socket end and the other end is open and you put a long handle allen wrench. it is used to adjust the window the the allen holds the screw tight and the nut locks it.
the DO AROUND us a long scocket and vice grips to hold while you stick a allen wrench inside to turn TO REMOVE or to TIGHTEN in place

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
Any other ideas; on the tool? I searched the snapon/vw official tool site and didn't find it.

https://vw.snapon.com

Maybe this one?

Window Cable Installation Tool
Model: VWM100
Price:
$80.83 *

https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?itemId=17610117

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Window+Cable+Installation+Tool Model: VWM100 &sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I guess, if you installed window regulator repair kits all day long; it would be nice to have and maybe, worth the $90! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts