VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The same switch cluster with hatch release works so I think the door switch has power

But the gas lid does nothing no sound no attempt to open. Have never had issues before.

Also possibly related the break pad light kicked on a few days ago so maybe a fuse that does both?

Plan to take it to the shop for repairs (oil, likely break pads, and now this gas lid) this week or next but I need me some gas to get there can I pry the door open without damaging it?

/edit found how to open it Help please, fuel door will not open. but any ideals is to wait failed and if I can fix it is welcome.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If you pry it you will break the catch. It’s probably a bad switch, I have jumped the switch before with a paper clip. Remove the switch assembly from the drivers door and unplug that switch the brown wire is usually the ground and one of the other wires will be the back lights for after dark and the final wire will be for the actuator. So the brown and one of the others should activate the gas door.

Is there a pull handle on the gas door side of your car inside the trunk area? I think some had the handle and some didn’t.

Edit ; I see you found out how to open it. Jumpering the switch in the drivers door would tell you if the switch was bad or it was something else. If the jumper works it’s the switch, if it does not work the problem spins elsewhere.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alright pulling cable worked to open it.

and now the switch works (can hear it try)

but the lid doesn't latch.

I've noticed if I force the cable back in it'll latch and then not open (no sound) again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts