NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m new in this community, even though I always read the posts and find accurate solutions. However, I’m going crazy right now, here’s the thing:

I removed the center console on my wife’s 2008 Automatic (TipTronic) New Beetle to change the 12v outputs, and because the magnet on the belt had broken. So I take everything apart, do all the repairs flawlessly, and before putting it all together again, I just check the transmission gears, and they work perfectly, applying the brake releases the shifter knob and all the usual.

So I just put everything back together, put the shift cover again, BUT, when I start the engine, I immediately feel the brake pedal way too soft, it goes all the way back, and now I can shift from P park all the way down to S without hitting the brake.

Needless to say, the car was perfect 30 min before putting everything back together. I really am going crazy here guys, I would extremely appreciate your help!!!!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
I just did a repair on the a tiptronic selector recently; in my case, I had to replace the whole assembly, as it was broken and missing pieces for some reason. If after "repair": things aren't working correctly, you might want to scan for trouble codes and look at live data, with a vw specific scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech. Based upon what I am experiencing with this latest repair on this 09G and servicing the tranmission fluid/filter, everything needs to be working correctly, for the tranmission to work/shift as it should. If there is a electrical, internal, shifter or sensor issue; you typically, should be getting thrown a factory VW trouble code, which should help narrow down, the cause of the problems you are currently experiencing.

With my repair, I was getting this trouble code; looking it up on the ross tech wiki and looking at the VW tech bulletin, was helpful in troubleshooting and repairing the shifter, shifting related problem. After a new fluid/filter change, a new shifter assembly and resetting the kick down setting, the car is shifting like it should, once again.

01045 - Tiptronic Switch (F189)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Here is a video; showing "output testing" on a 01M 4 speed (aka: viewing "live data") but principles are the same, for the 09G. Viewing this live data; is really helpful, to see if the selector is working and if the transmission, tcu can "see" if it is the right gear and if the sensors, shifting, etc, is working correctly. When we were shifting the gears and trying to get into various gears, the correct gears were not displaying and thus, the tcu was confused as to the gear it was in and this was causing the shifting problems.

Let us know, the testing you have done and if you have access, to a vw scan tool and we can go from there. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts